Buns of Brioche
- 1 C Warm Water.
- 4 Tbsp Warm Milk.
- 3 Tbsp White Sugar.
- 2 Tsp Dry Active Yeast.
- 3 1/3 C White All-Purpose Flour.
- 1 1/2 Tsp Salt.
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, room temperature.
- 2 Egg, room temperature and lightly beaten in 2 separate bowls.
- Black and/or White Sesame Seeds (optional).
- In a glass measuring cup, combine water, milk, yeast, and sugar. Give it a quick stir and let stand for about 5 - 7 minutes or so, until foamy.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl. whisk flour and salt together. Add the butter and rub between your fingers in bits to make "crumbs". Work through well.
- Now, using a dough scraper (I used a spatula), fold in 1 egg and yeast mixture until a dough like consistency forms. Dump it all out onto a well floured counter space and knead it for 8 - 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. If it sticks to the counter (mine didn't), add a little extra flour. Just remember the more flour you add, the heavier and tougher your buns will be!
- *To knead: push the dough out with your palms, slightly turning your hand up as you push. Once relatively flat, turn it .25 of a turn, slap it onto the counter, fold it over in half toward you and repeat. This is great work for your upper arms so be prepared!*
- Now, roll into a ball, and return it to the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and/or a tea towel and let the dough rise in a warm location until doubled in size - about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using your dough scraper (or in my case, a filet knife), divide the dough into 8 equal parts. Tear each of those parts in half. Gently roll each piece into a ball and arrange 2 - 3 inches apart on baking sheet. Cover loosely again (you may want to spray this cover with nonstick spray) and let rise again for a further 1 hour.
- At the 1 hour mark, pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees F with the rack in the center of the oven. and prepare your egg wash. That is, take the other beaten egg and add 1 to 2 Tbsp of water, and mix well. Then baste each bun with the mixture. Be quick but gently. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake about 13- 15 minutes until golden brown on top. Remove from heat, transfer to a wire rack to cool, and serve.