Apple Sausage Onion Skillet
- 1 Lb Happy Chicken or Turkey Sausage (mine came from Galloping Goose Sausage Company).
- 2 Medium Sized Apples, cored & cut into 1/2" slices.
- 1 Medium Sized Onion, peeled & sliced.
- 4 Tbsp Butter, unsalted.
- 3 to 5 Tbsp Balsamic Reduction.
- 1/2 C Dry Red Wine.
- Kosher Salt & Fresh Cracked Black Pepper.
- Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- In an oven proof skillet (I prefer cast-iron), melt 1 Tbsp of the butter over medium-low heat. Add the sausages and fry until cooked through and browned on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the rest of the butter to the pan and toss in the apples, onion, and a pinch of salt. Cook for about 5 minutes or so until softened slightly and the apples begin to get a bit of color on them - stir occasionally.
- Add the sausage back to the pan, stir well and place in the oven. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat, place mixture in a bowl, and cover with foil - set aside.
- Return the pan to the stove over medium heat and deglaze with wine, making sure to scrape all the little bits off the bottom of the pan. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until liquid has reduced by about half. Return everything back to the pan, heat through and drizzle with balsamic reduction.