Pumpkin Puree = Pumpkin Pie
- 1 Pie Pumpkin (the smaller, yummy, more tender ones).
- 2/3 C Sugar.
- 2 Tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice.
- 2 Free Range Organic Eggs, lightly beaten.
- 1 2/3 C Evaporated Milk.
- 2 Pie Pastries (find a good recipe here or in a pinch buy 2 from the store).
- 250 ml Whipping Cream, very cold.
- Splash of Pure Vanilla Extract.
- 3 Tbsp Icing Sugar (optional).
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- While that heats, slice your pumpkin in half and scoop out the pulp and seeds (save those seeds - recipe to come!).
- Place pumpkin open side down in a baking dish and add 1/2 C water.
- Place in the oven and bake 40 - 50 minutes or until flesh is tender.
- Remove from heat and let cool to touch. Once you can handle the pumpkin, remove and discard the skin and transfer the flesh to a food processor. Blend on high to make a smooth puree - and voila! Home made pumpkin puree!
- Turn up the heat on your oven to 450 degrees F & line your pie plates with the pastry.
- In a small bowl, sift together the sugar and pie spice. Pour into the eggs and mix well. Add evaporated milk & pumpkin. Stir until fully combined.
- Pour mixture into the pie shells and bake for 15 minutes. Turn the heat down to 350 degrees F and continue cooking for 35 - 40 minutes or until a knife inserted close to the center of the pie comes out clean.
- As that bakes, pour the whipping cream into a large very cold bowl. Mix with beaters on high for approximately 7-10 minutes or until approaching desired thickness. Add the vanilla and icing sugar if using and blend well.
- Return to the fridge until ready to use.
- Remove the pie from heat and let cool.
- Serve with whipped cream.