Winter Panzanella Salad
For the Salad:
- 1 Loaf Sourdough Bread, roughly torn into 1 bite pieces.
- Large Handful of Pearl Onions, peeled.
- I Head Garlic, peeled.
- 1 Winter Squash, peeled & chopped into 1" segments.
- 1-2 Roasted Red Peppers, julienned.
- Approx 20 Brussel Sprouts, cleaned, well dried, & halved.
- 4 Medium Sized Golden Beets, cleaned & well dried.
- 2 Large Carrots, cleaned & sliced.
- Couple Handfuls of Winter Salad Greens.
- Grana Padano or Parmesan Cheese, shaved.
- Some Fresh Goat's Cheese.
- Handful of Fresh Sage, roughly torn.
- Handful Toasted Pecans.
- 1 Tbsp Capers, rinsed.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Kosher Salt & Fresh Cracked Black Pepper.
- Orange Slices for Garnish.
- 3-4 Red Snapper Fillets + 3/4 C Flour + 1 Tbsp Butter (optional).
Ingredients for Dressing:
- 1 C Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- 1/3 C Red Wine or Balsamic Vinegar.
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced.
- Juice of Half an Orange.
- Kosher Salt & Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a roasting pan, throw in the onions, squash, garlic, brussel sprouts, carrots, and sage. Toss well with salt and pepper and a good glug of olive oil. Arrange as a single layer - try to make sure brussels are cut side down) and roast uncovered for 20 - 30 minutes or until just tender.
- Remove from heat.
- At the same time, toss the beets in a separate roasting dish with a bit of oil and salt & pepper, cover, and roast for approximately 30-40 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from the heat, allow to cool enough to touch and then peel. Chop into quarters and set aside with the rest of the veg.
- To add extra flavour to the bread, you can grill it on your BBQ over medium-high heat to give it a smoky essence. If not, turn your broiler to high, arrange as a single layer on a baking sheet and toast slightly. Watch though - they'll burn quickly. Remove from heat & set aside.
- If using fish, heat a non-stick pan over medium heat with a good glug of olive oil and the butter. Pat dry with paper towels, season well with salt and pepper, and dredge in the flour. Place in hot pan and cook for about 3-4 minutes per side or until fish flakes. Remove from heat.
- Throw all the ingredients for the salad into a bowl save for the fish and orange slices.
- Throw all the ingredients for the dressing into a mason jar. Put the lid on and shake baby shake!
- Pour 1/3 of the dressing over the salad, toss well, and add more if necessary.
- Serve on a giant platter or on individual plates, top with the fish and orange slices & serve.