CSA Week 12… & i’m kind of a big deal

Okay so yesterday was kind of a big deal. And if I really want to let my ego expand… So am I.

IMG_3027
Remember how I said last week I was making some big changes in blog life and real life?

Well… yesterday was momentous in those changes.

IMG_3020
Yesterday…. One of my freelance articles was officially published… By someone other than me.

It’s true I’ve guest posted for other blogs like Seattle Seedling, My Fiance Likes It So It Must Be Good, Cooking My Way Through My CSA, isavirtue, and most recently, The 21st Century Housewife. And ya know what? I’m damn proud of the posts I’ve written for these fine ladies and the connections I’ve made from them. I value them. Dearly.

IMG_3023
That being said, getting my work out there through an actual publication is a huge step toward making a living as a freelance writer. Urban Diner is a Vancouver-based online magazine dedicated to bringing food and restaurant lovers the freshest information on what’s happening in and around British Columbia. And I wrote for it! Ha!

IMG_3028
The article itself is actually a series of 4 restaurant reviews based on tapas style eating in Victoria. If I could keep getting paid to eat out at fine establishments like I did over the term of this project, I’d be a happy girl… and a fat one at that!

IMG_3017
To see the first installment of this series go to Urbandiner.ca or straight to my article: Victoria Tapas: A Review in 4 Parts… Not Unlike Your Meal. And don’t be afraid to leave a comment while you’re there! I’d love to hear from you.

IMG_3024
Now, onto another big deal… Spring time CSA! Saanich Organics really impressed this week, my friends! It’s the most Spring like box we’ve received so far this year and let me tell you – inspiration is flowing!

IMG_3033
This week we got:
  • 1 Head Endive. Oh yes!
  • 1 Bunch Green Garlic.
  • 1 Long English Cuke via SunTrio Farm.
  • 1 Massive Handful of fragrant mint.
  • 2 or 3 Pac Choi.
  • Pea Shoots.
  • Fresh Rhubarb.
  • 2 Bell Peppers via Suntrio Farm.
  • 1 Full Packet dried basil.
  • Frozen Strawberries.
Do you have a dream? Wanna share it? What are you doing to make it come true?
Suggestions for my CSA ingredients?

Photobucket

This post is linked up with The Hearth & Soul Blog Hop via The 21st Century Housewife; Tasty Tuesdays; Slightly Indulgent Tuesday; Tuesday Talent Show; This Chick Cooks; Cast Party Wednesday; Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways; Simple Lives Thursday; Showcase Your Talent Thursday; Full Plate Thursday; Tastetastic Thursday; Fresh Bites Friday; Fight Back Friday;

26 Responses to CSA Week 12… & i’m kind of a big deal

1. Becky May 16, 2012 at 5:46 PM #

Woo-hoo!! Congrats!

2. Cheap Ethnic Eatz May 16, 2012 at 5:56 PM #

Congrats on being published, off to read. And nice CSA

3. Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies May 16, 2012 at 5:56 PM #

Congratulations! I’m headed over to read the article now, since I saw it last night WAY too late on FB.

My dream? Get paid to do my hobbies: Gardening, animal keeping and making soap. So far? ZIP. Unless we count payment in smiles. Then I’m fucking rich.

• Kristy Lynn May 23, 2012 at 3:44 PM #

I toats agree Lindsey. If I could get paid to garden and animal keep and drink wine (or bourbon as of late), i’d be a happy girl. how many more bars of soap do i need to buy to make you self-sufficient? haha.

p.s. don’t discount those smiles lady ;)

4. Courtney J May 16, 2012 at 7:01 PM #

Awesome!! Congrats! :) Cheers to your dreams coming true :)

5. Madeline Grace May 16, 2012 at 9:50 PM #

Congrats on getting published! I’ll get to reading it right away!

I love this box! It looks so wonderful!

• Kristy Lynn May 23, 2012 at 3:45 PM #

Thanks Madeline! ….wait till you see what I’ve done with it!

6. Amy May 17, 2012 at 4:07 PM #

Oh my gosh! That is SO freaking amazing! Congratulations, what a huge accomplishment!!!! Ahh!! So excited for you!

7. John May 18, 2012 at 12:47 AM #

Awesome! Great article! You are a big deal… as I can see from what’s in the baggie :)

• Kristy Lynn May 23, 2012 at 3:45 PM #

ow ow! i DO live in british columbia, you know…

8. Elsa May 18, 2012 at 11:59 PM #

Congrats!! How exciting!! My dream… wow… maybe catering, or freelance food photography (as I improve, of course) and teaching someday as well. :) Your CSA looks beautiful, so much to work with! Thanks so much for sharing with Hearth and Soul!

• Kristy Lynn May 23, 2012 at 3:45 PM #

Thank you Elsa! I would love to cater and/or do food photography. That’s totally do-able – get on ‘er!

9. April @ The 21st Century Housewife May 20, 2012 at 9:12 PM #

Congratulations! That is awesome news!! I love your review of The Superior – it’s definitely on my list for my trip to Victoria (which I hope will be soon!). And thank you for the mention – it’s so lovely knowing you and working with you!

Your CSA box looks fantastic – I’d make rhubarb crumble or rhubarb crisp from that gorgeous rhubarb I think :-)

• Kristy Lynn May 23, 2012 at 3:46 PM #

Thanks April – and thank you so much for taking the time to comment at the publication!! That meant a lot to me.

10. pilgrimageofhealth.com May 20, 2012 at 10:49 PM #

Wow, what a gorgeous CSA bag. I’m interning at a farm this month and going to the farmer’s market every weekend, and I haven’t seen any peppers in my area yet! I’m excited for those summer vegetables!

• Kristy Lynn May 23, 2012 at 3:46 PM #

Ooooh interning at a farm would be amazing! To wake up with the birds and dig in the dirt… jealous.

11. Miz Helen May 21, 2012 at 3:28 PM #

Congratulations Kristy!
    Your on your way and looking forward to following your journey. Thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope you have a great week!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

12. France@beyondthepeel May 21, 2012 at 4:12 PM #

That is great news. I have access to that magazine since I’m just up the road from you in Courtenay. Let me know when it’s in print so I can read it!

• Kristy Lynn May 23, 2012 at 3:47 PM #

Excellent! I think it’s just online France – but Edible Vancouver is coming out soon and I have an article in that one too..

13. Alyssa May 22, 2012 at 9:00 PM #

Congratulations on being published! Those fruits and vegetables look great! I love the color on that pepper. Thanks for sharing at Showcase Your Talent Thursday. I hope to see you at the next party!

• Kristy Lynn May 23, 2012 at 3:47 PM #

Thank you Alyssa! The peppers turned into something kind of amazing. Wait for it…