Happy Friday sugar butts!
Fire Roasted Pepper Spread with Grilled Green Garlic
Yield 10 appetizers
- 4 Red and/or Orange Bell Peppers.
- 1 Handful Fresh Green Garlic, tops cut off.
- 5 or 6 Milan Turnips.
- 1 Tsp Smoked Paprika.
- 1 Tsp Ground White Pepper.
- 1 Tbsp Dried Basil.
- 1 Tsp Dried Chili Flakes (or 1 Bird's Eye Chili, seeds removed and roughly chopped).
- 1 Batch Balsamic Reduction.
- Good Quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Kosher Salt & Fresh Cracked Black Pepper. 1 Baguette, for serving, sliced on a diagonal angle.
- Pre-heat your BBQ to medium-high heat.
- As that heats, gently rub the peppers and green garlic with a little olive oil and salt and black pepper.
- Place on the grill over the heat and allow to char. The garlic should only take about 4 to 5 minutes per side (total of about 8 - 10 minutes) and the peppers - because they have twice as many sides - will take double that.
- Meanwhile, slice the turnips almost as thin as possible. Set aside.
- Pre-heat your broiler to high. Lay bread slices in a single layer on a pan and toast until golden. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Once the peppers are well blackened, place in a sealable plastic bag or a large Tupperware container and let "sweat" for about 10 minutes. This will allow the skins to loosen. Remove from their container and carefully remove the skins from the peppers as well as the seeds - discard.
- Chuck the peppers, paprika, white pepper, basil, chili flakes and a good dose of salt in a food processor. Puree until smooth. Taste. Add more of any of the above if necessary.
- Allow to cool.
- To serve: spoon a good helping of the pepper spread onto a toast followed by a couple pieces of turnip and the green garlic. Drizzle with balsamic reduction, a bit of olive oil, and a light sprinkling of salt.