Happy Monday darlings!
So we’re moving. Not in virtual blog-land world. In real life world. We’re packin’ up our shit and moving East.
I know, right? It’s kind of the opposite of where people tend to move. But we can’t really go any further West or we’ll be in Japan. And I don’t speak Japanese.
So instead we’re relocating from the beautiful, fair weathered, laid back, hippie lovin’ life & style of Vancouver Island to the big, smelly, smog-laden, asthma granting, fast paced world of Toronto. Oh god.
I have to admit: I’m a little terrified. Mostly excited. But also a little freaked the crap out. I’ve gotten pretty used to wearing flip flops year round, walking home alone in the middle of the night without fear of attack, running into friends every time I leave the house… And I’m giving it all up to be in a major metropolitan city I know literally nothing about other than the fact that it’s huge. How will I get around? What if I get lost? Who will I talk to (other than John)? Will we make new friends? I’m going to miss my friends here so very, very much! What kind of job will I find? Will I find a job?….. what if there’s no space to grow vegetables?!!
Of course, having moved out here from Alberta with nothing but a U-haul* truck and a smile** 6 years ago, I know it will work out okay. It was the best decision I had ever made up until that point and I’m pretty sure that this will turn out to be the same. People do it all the time. They move. They live. They thrive. We can do this. And at least we have each other this time around. But that still doesn’t take away all the pre-relocation jitters.Mostly though, I’m fucking stoked. It’s time for a change. It’s time for exciting new adventures, explorations, and dining experiences (obviously). My old friends can come visit anytime they like – and why wouldn’t they when they have a free place to stay in downtown Toronto? I can’t wait for the thrill of new discoveries and new people and it’s going to be good. If for no other reason than because it has to be. It has to be.
And what about snacking on the way out there? How about some chips? But not just any chips: rosemary sweet potato chips!
* Do not, ever – I do mean EVER – use U-haul. For a whole host of reasons. Seriously. Unless you want to A: not move or B: die.
** I was of course, also wearing pants. No pants in a U-Haul truck is practically begging for crabs.
Rosemary Sweet Potato Chips
- 1 Sweet Potato.
- 2 Tbsp Good Quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- 1 Tbsp Rosemary, stemmed & finely chopped.
- 2 Cloves Garlic, peeled and crushed.
- Course Sea Salt & Fresh Cracked Black Pepper.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and pre-heat your oven to 250 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix the oil and garlic together. Set aside.
- Next, peel the sweet potato and then using a mandoline, slice the sweet potato into very thin rounds.
- Lightly brush the parchment with a bit of the oil mixture. Arrange potatoes in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets and gently brush one side of the potatoes with the oil/garlic mixture and sprinkle liberally with salt, pepper, and the chopped rosemary.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, flip, and continue to bake for a further 30 minutes or until crispy and lightly browned with the edges curled up.
- Remove from the heat, transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool.
Adapted from Oh My Veggies
Adapted from Oh My Veggies
She Eats http://sheeats.ca/
Have you ever moved before? What do you love about? Loathe about it? Any advice?
P.S. Don’t forget that starting on Wednesday, Sam and I will be co-hosting a weekly linky party/blog hop that encourages fresh food production, consumption, activism and awareness for bloggers and blog readers alike! We want to feature you and any and all of your CSA collections, farmer’s market treasures, home grown/raised hauls, and/or any seasonal recipes or DIY projects or tutorials related to the above. Ultimately, we want to create a space and a resource for seasonal, organic, pastured, small scale happy food and the people that love it.
We’re going live Wednesday at midnight, Eastern standard time so if you want to participate sans blog, throw us an email @ freshfoodsbloghop (at) gmail (dot) com and we’ll invite you to upload a photo & description to be posted Wednesday! For those who have blogs and want to link up an actual post, keep an eye out for the linky gadget on Wednesday! More instructions to come then…
This post is linked up with The Hearth and Soul Blog Hop; Tasty Tuesday; Slightly Indulgent Tuesday; Tuesday Talent Show; Real Food Forager; Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways; Cast Party Wednesday; Whole Foods Wednesday; Tastetastic Thursday; Showcase Your Talent; Full Plate Thursday; Simple Lives Thursday; Fresh Bites Friday; Fight Back Friday; Foodie Friday; Seasonal Celebration Sunday