Recipe/ Salads

Guest Post – Kristina @ spabettie: For the Love of Kale

Hello to Kristy’s readers! My name is Kristina and I write spabettie – my place to share vibrant food with bright flavor. Kristy and I share many similar food philosophies – happy whole food. I was honored when she asked me to share some of my favorite recipes with you. I chose a theme for this collection – kale. I love kale, Jason (my other half) loves kale, even our dachshund Basil loves kale. Kale is an old favorite of mine, but I have a new way of preparing it that I just cannot get enough of – chiffonading. In a recent vegan fusion training, I finally massaged kale – and finally understood the hype. When I returned home, I took the massaged kale salad one step further – with a chiffonade.
Then I started using unique ingredients to massage:
 I topped the kale with roasted beets and vegan goat cheese!
One of my favorites was pairing the kale with a steak. What??
When I am not massaging my kale, I am making chips:
…or topping my favorite snack:
Kale is the base of my favorite bowl:
…and the first layer under my raw taco filling:
Are you a kale fan? What is your favorite way to prepare it?
Thank you, Kristy, for having me here today, and thank you all for reading – Cheers!

Why don’t you lovelies do yourselves a favor and go say hi to Kristina @ her blog or facebook page, or go check out her twitter feed and pinterest boards? I think you’re gonna like her…

September 15, 2012 at 2:16 AM

What a fantastic collection of kale recipes! I especially like those miso sesame kale chips.

Kristina @ spabettie
      September 21, 2012 at 10:12 PM

thank you, Jeanette! the miso sesame chips are my favorite way to make them! 🙂 -spabettie

September 15, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I am in love with Kale, and your lovely photos are making that love grow deeper!

My favorite way of cooking Kale is to flash steam/stir fry it quickly, drizzle with Olive Oil and add a dash of salt. Salads are the other favorite method of eating it up – newest favorite is combining it with Cantaloupe:

Now, how do you massage Kale? I guess I could ask Google, but if you have a post about how to do it. I’d love to read it:)

Kristina @ spabettie
      September 21, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I think the grapefruit kale salad links to a sort of description of how to massage… basically I whisk together a dressing in a bowl (usually an oil and a citrus, the citrus helps break down and soften the kale), then add the kale to the dressing bowl and just start squeezing it with your hands – get the dressing coated on all the kale, and mash it around with your hands! it’s fun! 🙂 -spabettie

Amber @ The Cook's Sister
    September 18, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Hello Kristina! Love your collection of kale recipes! I’ve only tried kale once now, so your recipes are a very helpful inspiration in discovering the many ways to prepare and serve kale! Thanks!

Kristina @ spabettie
      September 21, 2012 at 10:15 PM

hi Amber! so happy you might try some new ways to eat kale – enjoy!! -spabettie

September 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM

To be totally honest, I’ve never tried kale. Bad food blogger! I know. But you have piqued my interest.

Kristina @ spabettie
      September 21, 2012 at 10:16 PM

oh, then you need to remedy that! 🙂 -spabettie

Kristy Lynn
      September 25, 2012 at 11:04 AM

agreed Lisa – you need to have kale. for reals. not because you’re a food blogger but because you deserve it!