Yield 1 pizza
- 1 Batch of Scratch Pizza Dough (if you're really in a pinch, you can find pre-made pizza dough with natural/whole ingredients at quality grocery stores).
- 2 Lbs of Roma Tomatoes, chopped.
- 1 Onion, peeled & diced.
- 5 Cloves of Garlic, peeled and chopped.
- Handful of Fresh & chopped or 2 Tbsp Dried Italian Herbs (basil, marjoram, oregano, sage, etc...) + Extra Handful of Fresh Basil Leaves.
- 1 Large Ball Buffalo Mozzarella or Fresca.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Coarse Sea Salt & Fresh Cracked Black Pepper.
- Dried Chili Flakes or Chili Oil to serve (optional).
- Heat a couple good glugs of olive oil in a large stock pot over medium-low heat. When hot, add the onion and stir well. Allow to soften - approx 5 minutes - and add the garlic. Stir constantly until fragrant. Toss in the tomatoes and herbs save for the extra basil leaves. Season well with salt and pepper and stir until well mixed. Cover, turn the heat to low and let simmer for an hour or two until the tomatoes have broken down and it smells fabulous. Stir occasionally.
- Once the sauce has reduced, taste and add more salt and/or pepper if necessary. Blend that shit up until smooth. I used this handy dandy machine - but a blender or food processor will do just fine. Set aside.Turn on your oven to 450 degrees F and place cheese in a strainer to drain any excess liquid.
- Lay the pizza dough on a lightly greased & floured pizza pan.Spoon a real good helping of the sauce you've just made all over the base. Add lots. It's good.
- Roughly tear the cheese and place all over the pizza. Season lightly and place in pre-heated oven.
- Bake in the oven about 20 minutes or until crust is golden and crispy and the cheese is oozy and gooey. Remove from the heat and top with the fresh basil leaves.
- Throw on a big chopping board and place in the center of the table with the chillies if using and a pair of (clean!) scissors or two - let people cut the pieces they want.
This post is linked up with the Hearth & Soul Blog Hop via the 21st Century Housewife; Tasty Tuesdays; Tuesday Talent Show; Cast Party Wednesday; Whole Foods Wednesday; Frugal days, Sustainable Ways; What’s in the Box; Tastetastic Thursday; Full Plate Thursday; Simple Living with Diane Balch; Fight Back Friday; Fresh Bites Friday; Simple Meals Friday