Oh my goodness, darlings!
I have been cooking, baking, rolling and making a big fucking mess of my kitchen for the past 10 hours. Yes, 10 hours.
But now I not only (almost) have lunch for the next 3 weeks – hello, homemade from scratch chicken noodle soup. Yes please!! But I also have completed my “cookies” for the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap, a whack of newly canned savory treats and sparkles in places no sparkles should be. Unless of course you’re going to pay me for a lap dance and bottle of “champagne”.
There is something so fulfilling – and exhausting – about making so much real food from scratch. Nothing tastes better, is more satisfying or nutritious than homemade food. Except perhaps a good bottle of wine.
The name of this post is a bit of a misnomer. While it’s definitely SRC, my assignment didn’t actually involve making apple brownies. Brownie in my mind = chocolate. Of some variety. This dish had none. But it did have apples, cinnamon and a whack of butter. And we all know apples, cinnamon and a whack of butter = good.
I followed Liz’s recipe
to a T with the exception of two things: cooking time and apples. It took much longer to cook than hers did and I left the peel on the apples because why they heck not? Ultimately, it was everything I was hoping it would be. If you’re looking for a simple but tasty and healthy (apples, right?) dense snack cake, this dish is your dish. Top off with some rich vanilla ice cream and watch your pant size expand & your mouth sing.
Yield 12 brownies
- 4 Oz. Butter
- 1/2 C Sugar
- 1/2 C Brown Sugar
- 1 Pastured Egg, room temperature.
- 1 C Flour
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Large Apples, cored & diced.
- Preheat oven to 350º F and butter/grease an 8 x 8 inch baking dish. Set aside.
- As your oven heats, cream butter and sugar together. Mix in the egg and beat until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients. Mix well. Add dry ingredients to wet, and then stir in apples.
- Spread into prepared baking dish and bake until a toothpick inserted in center of brownies comes out clean. As Liz said, times will vary from 20-45 minutes depending on size of apple chunks and variety used. Mine took an hour.
- Remove from the oven, set on a wire rack and allow to sit for about 15 minutes. Cut into the cake, serve with some ice cream and…