Happy Wednesday and welcome to Fresh Foods Wednesday #65!

Fresh Foods Wednesday #65 Real Food Link UpI have the most fabulous butcher down the street from me. He sells the most incredible grass-fed steaks – strip loin, actually. They’re thick, juicy and loaded with tender flavor. He also regularly stocks pastured chicken, lamb and another of my personal favorites, unbelievably thick short ribs. Like, insanely thick. And good. And oh so perfect. Why the butcher bragging, you ask? Because in a city where I can’t get a lick of locally organic produce in January, I’m looking at the bright side of life.

….I wonder if anyone, in the history of eating meat, has called their butcher “fabulous”?

Tell me how you’re “looking for the good” right now. What makes your day sunnier (you know, besides the sun)? Or maybe it IS the sun! I’ll tell ya – half way through Winter, a little UV isn’t such a bad thing.

Onto the link up! The Fresh Foods Wednesday #65 link up is to encourage fresh food production, consumption, activism, and awareness. Please feel free to link up posts containing:

Annie @ Montana Homesteader
    January 15, 2014 at 12:31 AM

We’ve been busy reading and planning our new garden space to get ready for spring so I shared a post with some helpful online gardening resources. Thanks for hosting!

Lauren @ DC Healthy Bites
    January 15, 2014 at 6:55 AM

Happy Fresh Foods Wednesday! We are in the dead of winter, are you getting enough sunshine vitamin? In today’s post I share why this is so important: Thanks for hosting!

January 15, 2014 at 8:04 AM

How am I looking on the sunnier side of things? I suppose I am just programmed that way, as the only time I’ve ever really experienced the January doldrums was the year my spouse was due back from Iraq in March, and after the excitement of traveling to visit my brother & his family in Europe for the holidays wore off, there was still a long slog before I could anticipate the spouse’s return. That sucked.
    But he’s here this month, and that’s good for me.

I’ve been dipping into the Strategic Winter Squash Reserve and starting to buy a few marked down packages of
    vegetables at the store (mushrooms and spinach so far) which means an opportunity to plan my meals for the week instead of winging it once I figure out what I’m getting in the CSA farm share.

Am I planning, though? Heck no! I’m getting caught up on all the blogging tasks which I put aside to hang out with the family for 3 weeks over the holidays. There’s time. There’s always time.

Today I’ve got a pizza for you–roasted Butternut Squash and Prosciutto Pizza–which my spouse and I loved, but sadly the kids picked off the squash. I tell ya it’s why I put it *into* the dough, so they can’t pick it off.
    I’ve got a punch of citrus from these Tangerine Ricotta Muffins–and they aren’t too hopped up on sugar, either.
    Lastly I’ve got a pickling failure turned into a tasty snack–Pickled Pork and White Bean Sliders.

January 15, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Thank you for hosting this week! I stopped by to share a comfort food favorite (Tuna Casserole) remade with scratch ingredients, and a super quick, flavorful soup made with a handful of pantry staples that will knock your socks off: Spanish Egg & Garlic Soup! It is one of my very favortie soups to whip in a jiffy.

January 15, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Love the new look. Love even more that I no longer have to remember how to spell sovereignty. I probably got that wrong because it is not right here in front of me.
    I am sharing my coconut sugar ‘karo’ syrup that I used to then make coconut sugar marshmallows. Which will be used to make a tasty treat I will share next week.

Have a good one! And thanks for hosting.

January 15, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Thanks for the link up – I learned a ton from the other submissions!

Stacy @ Stacy Makes Cents
    January 15, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Thanks so much for hosting!

January 15, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Hello! This is my first time posting over here… and I’m sharing a post explaining why my daughter will NOT be selling Girl Scout Cookies this year.
    ~ Christine

Miz Helen
    January 15, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Hi Kristy,
    I am staying bright by looking toward the spring. I have seed catalogs on my work table, and some sets ready to plant. Hopefully we will be planting onions this week if the weather holds. When I look in my pantry and see all the home canned jars from a great harvest last year or when I go to the barn to the cold bin and get some root vegetables. When I volunteer at the food bank and come home so grateful for all the blessings we have been given, I think that’s my” bright list for today”, thank you for letting me share it!
    Miz Helen