Happy Wednesday and welcome to Fresh Foods Wednesday #66!

Fresh Foods Wednesday #65 Real Food Link UpThis past weekend I went to the Royal Ontario Museum and looked at dinosaur bones. I love dinosaurs. They’re super awesome and big – unless they’re not. I realize (after a very serious – and slightly inebriated – conversation last night) that I may be dating myself when I say this, but I’m enchanted by the film Jurassic Park. Like, obsessively love it. I’ll watch it anytime, anywhere, anyhow. So consider my shock and appall when I found out that it wasn’t entirely historically accurate. Go figure. Did you know that velociraptors are not the giant man eater predators as depicted in the movie? No my friends, they were the size of chickens. Chickens. And if that’s not enough of a revelation to blow your mind, you can read more of the lies the creators of Jurassic Park told us by clicking here.

For those of you who couldn’t give a good pink hoot about dinosaurs (and if that’s the case, I’m not sure how we’re friends), onto the link up! The Fresh Foods Wednesday #66 link up is to encourage fresh food production, consumption, activism, and awareness. Please feel free to link up posts containing:

PRE-ORDER YOUR COPY BEFORE IT’S TOO LATE!

Janine
    January 22, 2014 at 7:38 AM

Oh dear, reality is hard sometimes. I pray you will pull through.

January 26, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Why do I get the feeling that you’re teasing me, Janine? 😉

suzyhomemaker
    January 22, 2014 at 7:40 AM

Morning! I guess I won’t tell you I am not big on dinosaurs. I don’t want to be shunned 🙂

January 26, 2014 at 10:15 AM

It’s okay Suzy – you’re darling and wonderful enough that I will unshun you 😉 xoxoxoxo!

That being said……… shun. Jk, jk….

January 22, 2014 at 8:21 AM

And another thing about dinosaurs is why did they have to go and change all of their names. I mean it was hard enough learning them the first time around. Now my kids think I’m daffy when a call a bronso.. terana something.

January 26, 2014 at 10:16 AM

HA! YES! Diane – seriously!! I get so confused now! There were like, 8 dinosaurs when I was a kid. Now there’s billions and I don’t know what any of them are!!

January 22, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Kristy,
    If Meghan channels a 13 yr old boy, then perhaps you with your love of dinosaurs channel a 6 yr old kid?
    Just a thought. Did you see the Hyperbole and a Half dinosaur costume post? Loved that.

Ok, I’ve got an abnormally large number of posts to share with you today for the simple reason that this week I’m participating in #AppetizerWeek. I went nuts making savo(u)ry appetizers using my CSA farm share vegetables–I’m doing one each weekday this week–and joining in this multiblogger event.

But let’s start with last week’s normal link ups–I had a canning failure. The kids just don’t care for pickled yellow squash slices like they like pickled cucumbers. I share the story in my Pickled Pork and White Bean Sliders.
    I kept up the theme of using put up items from the pantry in my Shrimp and Salsa Verde Cornbread Pizza, and my salsa verde joins my tomato salsa in a tango with the sweet potatoes from the Strategic Winter Squash Reserve for my Harvest Sweet Potato Salsa. Finally, since I’ve been inspired by the SWSR, I made 2 different kinds of butternut squash hummus: Buffalo Butternut Hummus and Sriracha Butternut Squash Hummus.

And the week isn’t over! I’ll be sharing a pair of puff pastry pizza recipes (once I get them typed up, get the photos pretty, and add all my fellow blogger’s links and the sponsor giveaway info) that I’ll bring to your party next week.

And no chicken sized dinosaurs for me–though my neighbor’s friend’s chickens have started laying again, so I got a box of eggs last night and I’m delighted.

January 26, 2014 at 10:19 AM

HAHAHA – we should all channel our inner-child, don’t you think?

I can’t wait to read your posts this week Kirsten – I always enjoy them. And your very thoughtful comments 🙂 🙂 🙂 Makes my day!! I need some savory appetizer ideas – stoked!

PS. How jealous am I that you received eggs?? When I move back to the coast I’m gonna get me some chickens for sure. I’m confident that your neighbor’s friend’s eggs were amazing. A good egg is next to godliness… you know, if I believed in god 😉

PPS. Sorry to hear about the kids – maybe you can use them as a garnish for grown up cocktails? The pickled squash that is, not the children.

Stacy @ Stacy Makes Cents
    January 22, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Thanks so much for hosting!

January 26, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Thank you SO much for coming by Stacy!! Glad to host you as always 🙂

Miz Helen
    January 22, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Good Morning Kristy,
    I am just now having my first cup of coffee, Its to early for me to think about historical animals that roamed the planet, but I like them.

Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for hosting!
    Miz Helen

January 26, 2014 at 10:21 AM

HAHA – fair enough Miz Helen. I, on the other hand, prefer to think of them before my first cup of coffee… But that’s just because they get me buzzed right up! As you can tell 😉

Thanks for contributing – always great to see you!

January 22, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Well… I have a Jurassic Park story for you… My neighbor was actually *in* the movie. Really. He was one of the lab techs inserting the DNA or something… I don’t know exactly, some lab tech thing. He really was only supposed to be there in a consulting role, but the extra was having a really hard time with the equipment, so they slapped a little bit of make-up on him and HE did it. I think he’s in the movie for a whole 5 frames or something!
    (Do I get the Coolest Kid on the Block Award?)
    Anyway, after all that, my Spiced Wine recipe seems a little lame… but that’s what I’m sharing this week!
    Enjoy the rest of your week!
    ~ Christine

January 26, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Oooooooh Christine! That’s awesome! You certainly do! You should ask him how Jeff Goldblum smelled (he’s kind of my boyfriend. Not really. but in my imagination he is)…

Speaking of random film stuff – my uncle has the motor-home from the film 2012… Weird, right?

PS. Spiced wine sounds perfect. Thank you for contributing!! xo!

Gabriela's
    January 22, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Yo Kristy! I’m really sorry about your recent disillusionment regarding dinosaurs. I think it’s perfectly horrid how filmmakers have so deceived us. Like take the Disney movies for example. Hair isn’t supposed to behave so perfectly even if you are a princess. :/ I hope your spirits are boosted soon. Maybe with some spirits? haha ok bad. Try a gooey chocolate brownie or something. 😉

I shared Power Breakfasts: Delicious Eats for ENERGY today. Oh how did the Almond Pastry Detox Smoothie work for you?? I hope the coconut wasn’t a deal breaker. Have a fabulous week!!

January 26, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Oh Gabriela! Don’t even get me STARTED on Disney!!!! Have you ever watched Mickey Mouse Monopoly? You can get it on YouTube – it’s just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Disney’s influence over our cultural awareness but it’s so worth it!

PS. my hair is never perfect. and i’m damn proud of it 😉

PPS. Not at all! I’m stoked to power up on power breakfasts! That might help the Jurassic Park issue. haha..

Sara
    January 22, 2014 at 12:29 PM

You just blew my mind. I can’t believe I’ve been lied to all these years…. Into therapy, I go.

January 25, 2014 at 6:43 PM

I saw Jurassic Park at a drive through movie with the Hubby, and yes I only half watched the movie, which turns out to be a good thing, since my dinosaur knowledge wasn’t tainted. Whew, that’s a relief.

January 26, 2014 at 10:29 AM

I miss drive through movies!!! The first one I ever saw was Howard the Duck. Best. Movie. Ever.

PS. ‘atta girl… that’s how drive ins should be 😉