Happy Wednesday to you my darling friends and welcome to Fresh Foods Wednesday #67!

Fresh Foods Wednesday #67 Real Food Link Up - SheEats.caAfter receiving quite the response from you on last week’s dinosaur revelation, I got to thinking… How old am I? Like, 12?? But something obviously resonated with you because you all sympathized with my absolute horror of discovering the truth about velociraptors. I knew there was a reason I loved you all so much – you’re just. so. supportive.

But now I want to know about YOUR experiences of discovery and epiphany. How did you react the first time you found out unicorns didn’t really exist? That there’s no gold at the end of the rainbow? Or that Santa isn’t nearly the jolly old elf we’ve all been led to believe? Or maybe something more serious – the first time you came to terms with some kind of life truth…? That happiness is in the small things? That there are more than 2 genders? That the grocery store maybe isn’t the best place to get your morning Wheaties? Or that there are actually harmful chemicals in your laundry detergent….? Share below  in the comments – I wanna hear from you.

The Fresh Foods Wednesday #67 link up is to encourage fresh food production, consumption, activism, and awareness. Please feel free to link up posts containing:

And if you like what you see here, please include a simple text link back to this link up in the post(s) you share or copy the code below and paste it into your post or an HTML widget in your sidebar:

January 29, 2014 at 3:00 AM

Thanks so much for the link up! There may be something wonky with the code, fyi. None of what I just put in is showing up even after refreshing the page. Have a great week!

January 29, 2014 at 7:41 AM

Hi Tessa! Thanks so much for letting me know! Your links are showing up now. Note to self: I MUST be smarter than the linky code 😉 And thanks for sharing!! I’m looking forward to reading your posts this week! xo!

January 29, 2014 at 7:59 AM

I got a meal for you… mussels in beer. Tell me you eat seafood? Thanks for the party.

February 3, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Hell yes I do Diane. Especially when you put it in beer!

January 29, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Most of your readers won’t be able to relate to my experience – a person who emigrates and embraces another culture and language has the unique “chance” of being shocked at revelations and surprises many years after the initial move…

one example from last week – and keep in mind I’ve been in the US for 20 years – I realized that I’ve always said “this lunch should tie me over until dinner’, when the correct term is “tide me over”.

I know, i know, not exactly what you were asking, but trust me, it is a shocking realization, and I have plenty like that! 😉

February 3, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Huh. Sally. You just blew my mind. I always said “tie” as well!!! Now I know better. I guess we all learn something new every day 🙂 EVERY DAY. haha..

January 29, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Well to be serious for a moment–while *most* cases of Neural Tube Defects can be prevented by taking folic acid before you get pregnant and during the first trimester, there’s that key word–most. Despite being on prenatal vitamins (and knowing my shit since I’m an RN) I am the mom of a kid with Spina Bifida. I’m sure I had a ‘reality crash’ moment before that ultrasound, but that particular moment sure sticks out in my memory.

On to the food–I’ve linked up another passel of seasonal recipes. To round out last week’s #Appetizerweek I’ve got a pair of puff pastry pizzas. I’d like to say that puff pastry and I are BFFs but I’d be lying.
    I’ve also got a Confetti Turkey Enchiladas with Slow Roasted Tomato Sauce (a suggestion for what to do with the tomatoes you–may–have put up in season). Finally I’m sharing a breakfast salad, because–why not?

February 3, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Wow, Kirsten. Thank you for being so candid! I imagine that must have been a very difficult thing to learn. Is that an issue you have to address daily?

January 29, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Good Morning Kristy! I have big news…I started a second blog. Ahhhhh. I got sucked into leading a more simple life with less crap and decided to start another blog. Not that I have the time, I barely have time to manage 1 with all the social media stuff.
    So anyway, one thing I plan to do is simplify my kitchen by only having 100 ingredients in it. Which means making sure any boxes I buy (which I do) only has ingredients in my 100 list. I linked up telling my strategy.
    I also linked up one from my other blog. I started a pinterest board for real food tips.

About your question, I couldn’t think of a good example. I vaguely remember (10 yrs ago maybe!) when I started reading more about alternative nutrition and was mad at myself for not doing more research when I was getting my master’s in nutrition degree. What I thought back then – fat is bad, low-cal diet stuff is ok – was of course the truth cause I learned it in school. I am so glad I changed paths though.

February 3, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Holy COW!!!!! I can’t wait to read it Suzy!! I’m super stoked for you (and for me! More Suzy = good!).

January 29, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Well, I just got a shock here, because I did not realize that there were more than 2 genders.
    My greatest shock was finding out that the low fat, sugar free food that I grew up on and embraced was a chemical crapfest. I am cool with that now though. Because whipping cream is soooo awesome.

My next shock came when I realized that what we put on us, goes in us. I have shared a post on some baby skin friendly recipes that will not introduce a toxic party into our precious babies.

Thanks for the link up!

February 3, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Totally true Janine! Gender is merely a social construct of how we present ourselves to the world (ie long v short hair, makeup v no makeup, clothing, nails, etc…). We hear “boys” and “girls” or “men and “women” and all the stereotypes about what a real man or real woman are – but there are so many people who don’t feel like they fit into those very rigid categories. So they present differently and some even refuse to be limited by gendered pronouns. There are a handful of people I went to school with who would rather be called “they” than “he” or “she”… Interesting right??

PS. Whipping cream IS soooooo awesome. I’ll be honest though about the “on us/in us” thing, I struggle with that sometimes. Especially eye makeup remover. Water and soap won’t take off my eyeliner, I have to wonder what’s IN that stuff – both the liner and remover – that makes all that happen! Scary!

January 29, 2014 at 12:18 PM

I am, what my husband calls “unfailingly optimistic” — which I *think* is a compliment, but I’m not sure — so I am regularly shocked when things don’t go as planned, or when people don’t live up to my expectations. It can be depressing… but I am, indeed, unfailingly optimistic, so I bounce back pretty quickly! 🙂

Anyway, I posted a Mushroom Wild Rice Stew with Swiss Chard this week!

~ Christine

February 3, 2014 at 2:11 PM

hahaha – I’m the same Christine. And sometimes I just want to be grumpy….. but then everything bubbles (in a happy way) and I can’t stay upset. At least not all the time. It makes me angry. haha.

Stacy @ Stacy Makes Cents
    January 29, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Thanks so much for hosting!

February 7, 2014 at 7:11 PM

What do you mean unicorns don’t exist? You take that back right now!!

February 11, 2014 at 10:09 AM

I take it back……. they exist as much as Santa Claus, leprechauns and Jesus. I mean, uhhh…