Happy Wednesday my loves and welcome to Fresh Foods Wednesday #74!

You know when you are just so bloody excited for something that it feels like time just stands still? I feel like this right now about the move back West. I want it so badly that it feels like it will never get here. I’ve started looking at apartments on Craigslist and PadMapper (not too many for June yet) but I’m getting a pretty good feeling about the value of places in certain neighborhoods. I just want it to get here!!! Any tips on passing the time? Or about moving? I’ve certainly done my fair share, but if you have any spectacular insights, I’d love to hear them!

The Fresh Foods Wednesday #74 link up is to encourage fresh food production, consumption, activism, and awareness. Please feel free to link up posts containing:

PRE-ORDER YOUR COPY BEFORE IT’S TOO LATE!

March 19, 2014 at 7:23 AM

Your linky says it doesn’t open for 3.5 hours? I’ll try to remember to come back.

March 19, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Hi Diane! Thanks for letting me know – stupid inLinkz! haha – it seems I missed something in the set up of the party so really, I SHOULD say, stupid me! It’s up now.

Janine
    March 19, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Sounds like Christmas for you. Hmm, what can you do to pass the time? Write a blog (and that comes with it), promote a business, raise 5 kids, clean the house, milk the goats, plant the garden, clean the yard, clean the house again, and again, and again, take kids to practice…oh wait, that is what I would do. Wanna help? 🙂

March 19, 2014 at 8:55 AM

I’m in! I’ve joined! Thanks for fixing it, Kristy–I tried to link up then decided that even though it was gray and rainy I’d go ahead with the gardening I’d planned on doing today. After I added a layer of egg shells, kitchen scraps, shredded leaves and coffee grounds to 3 raised beds and 2 compost bins, with the rain helping to wet everything down, I came back inside and lo and behold your link up is good to go! Such a sense of accomplishment–I should share this with Meghan’s Week In Review!
    (I’m hoping that in the month+ to come before I start putting plants into the ground/the perennial herbs get really going, the stuff I just layered in will rot in place so my soil is enriched. I already did the other beds in the fall, and though I can tell that the soil amendments have settled, those beds are still higher than the ones I did today. Besides, my garlic is starting to peek out of the dirt and I don’t want to cover up my little lovelies)

As for moving tips–get rid of as much stuff as you can before you move. Don’t say “oh I’ll look at this box when I’m unpacking”–do it now. Donate what you can. I’m most familiar with moves that involve all my worldly possessions going into containers on a boat, to be reunited with me a couple of months later, but the most recent one was a door to door move with a truck and a car and no boat. I got to move houseplants and freezer stuff! Either way we move I need my pepper grinder, so I have 2. One goes in the box, one goes in the luggage so I can use it while I’m away from my kitchen.

Ok, so today I’ve linked up a peach pie since last week was Pi day. My daughter and I gleaned a friend’s peach tree (since ours never gives *us* ripe fruit) and put up a bunch of pie filling last summer–perfect for use in the winter! I’ve got a couple of Spring vegetables for you since tomorrow will be the vernal equinox–Roasted Asparagus with Chicken Jelly Noodles, and Radish Sandwich Spread. Yum!

March 23, 2014 at 12:36 PM

I’ve heard from my mom too that her garlic has started poking their little heads out too! That’s so exciting Kirsten – there’s nothing better than fresh garlic. Need some help with the garden?? I could use some playin in the dirt!

PS. Thank you so much for the tips!! I’m a huge purge-whore when it comes to moving. I like to get rid of EVERYTHING and to be totally honest, if I had it my way, we’d donate, sell and barter off everything we have. John can’t bring himself to do that (or let me) though so I’m workin on the excess “junk” that we haven’t used in a year. It’s coming. 🙂 Just like your pepper grinder!

I look forward to reading your posts – gleaning is so much fun!!!

Jeanne Grunert
    March 19, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Hi! This is the first time I’ve heard of Fresh Foods Wednesday, and I’m looking forward to participating! I blog about my 17 acre hobby farm and there’s always something growing. And I love to cook. So this should be fun! I welcome anyone curious enough to venture over. I like this blog a lot and just found it through Bloglovin. Can’t wait to read more of your posts, too!

March 23, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Hi Jeanne! Thank you so much for sharing – it’s great to have you here! I’m so jealous about your farm – that sounds like perfection! I’d give anything to live on a farm…. though the bf might have something to say about that. hahaha… Lovely to meet you – hope you’ll be around more!!

Jillian Hudson
    March 19, 2014 at 10:07 AM

I shared my recipe for making nut butters and a great tip on how to make a quick and easy school lunch staple.

March 23, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Hi Jillian! Thank you so much for linking up! Great contribution!! Hope to see you again this Wednesday 🙂

Lauren @ DC Healthy Bites
    March 19, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Happy Fresh Foods Wednesday! Did you know that regardless of sex, age, BMI, and how much you exercise, sitting increases your risk of chronic disease and premature death!? The longer you sit the greater your risks become. Stand Up, Sit Less, Move More! Thanks for hosting!

March 23, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Hey Lauren! Word to that!! If I had it my way, we’d all be playing in the dirt all day long. Health is more about lifestyle for sure than it is about weight or other factors. Holistic all the way, baby! Hope to see you again this Wednesday! xo!

March 19, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Thanks for hosting! This week I’m sharing a healthy, real food version of the Shamrock Shake! Happy Wednesday! 🙂
    ~ Christine

March 23, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Hi Christine lady love! Thanks so much for sharing your Shamrock Shake! Sounds like perfection!! Have a great weekend and I hope we’ll see you again this Wednesday! 🙂

Jane's Adventures in Dinner
    March 20, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Hey Doll! Thanks for the freshie place to share. Love seeing all the goodies here.

March 23, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Happy to have you hang out Jane! Hopefully you find some like minded peeps this week – everyone is pretty incredible 🙂 Kinda like YOU!