Welcome to Fresh Foods Wednesday #82!

I gotta tell ya – getting a whack of new fresh veggies every week is QUITE exhilarating! With my previous CSA – Saanich Organics – on Vancouver Island, we had signed up for a box every 2 weeks which meant we had time to forget about items and they’d go bad because I would think “oh, I have time to eat that – I’ll have something else instead today”.

Now that I have a new box each and every week from Farm City Co-Op in Vancouver, there is no time to waste! Now I’m all like, “I gotta eat that because I’m getting a crap ton more on Wednesday!”. So I’m ripping through my box (ouch) and am super stoked to be eating so many vegetables each and every day. It sure is easy when they’re already in the house so my weekly menu planning just got more simple. And who doesn’t love that??

This week I got:

• Purple beets with beet tops;
  • Kale (which is fabulous sauteed with butter, salt and pepper btw);
  • Savoy cabbage;
  • Scapes;
  • Red radishes;
  • Sunflower shoots;
  • Peas;
  • Rhubarb;
  • New baby Potaters (uber excited for these).

CSA Fresh Foods Wednesday - She Eats

One last note before we get to the link up… Today and tomorrow are your LAST DAYS to get in on the sweet SPQR action! If you want to enter your comment to win a copy of the new cookbook SPQR: Modern Italian Food & Wine (inspiration & ridiculously good scratch Italian food), you gotta gets to it now. You can do so here – it only takes about 30 seconds. Winner will be announced Friday morning after I’ve had my coffee and probably an incredible bourbon soaked cherry mash-up on toast. Mmm… bourbon cherries on toast…. (insert drooling, foodgasm Homeresque sound here).

The Fresh Foods Wednesday #82 link up is to encourage fresh food production, consumption, activism, and awareness. Please feel free to link up posts containing:

July 9, 2014 at 5:34 AM

Thanks for hosting this week I’m sharing my Vegan Sweet Potato Tofu Burgers {GF} and my Asian Quinoa Pork Burgers {GF}.

July 15, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Thank you so much for linking up this week Vicky! They look fantastic!

July 9, 2014 at 7:57 AM

I can so relate to your “I gotta eat that” line, I’ve said something similar myself, and said it to my in-law over the holiday which prompted her to ask why we do this. Where to begin explaining? Environmental reasons, health reasons, local economy reasons, delicious flavor reasons?
    It’s crazy in a way, but having the greens (which don’t keep as long) forces me into more meal planning than, say, carrots and squash (and scapes which can hang for a good while–I finally made my monster batch of pesto for the freezer).
    I’m into colors this week, to match the explosion of green and squash blossoms happening in the yard, so I’ve got a Surimi Chirashi Sushi bowl (get yer kohlrabi, cucumbers, and carrots into that bad boy), a colorful Greek Chicken Salad Plate, and a Pepperoni and Yellow Squash pizza that clearly must have been assembled by my daughter since it looks pretty.

July 15, 2014 at 12:36 PM

It’s true Kirsten – I find the same thing with greens. I end up planning way more meals (which saves money and time) based on the fact that the veggies I know are coming will go off soon. In fact, I’ve fallen in love with simply sauteeing them in a little olive oil with a bit of salt and pepper. Super simple but super tasty 🙂 That’s the good thing I guess about really fresh produce – you don’t have to do too much to it to make it amazing.

PS. Thank you for sharing a post with kohlrabi!! I always need more ideas about what to do with it other than matchstick and eat. haha.

July 9, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Those baby new taters look divine! Thanks for the link up. Today I’m sharing an almond flour tostada recipe using lots of garden veggies!

July 15, 2014 at 12:36 PM

They WERE divine Janine! Thank you so much!! I just boiled em and then topped em off with butter, salt, pepper and a few green onions and they were perfection. Peeeeeeerfection 😉

Thanks for linking up with us!

tessa - Homestead Lady
    July 9, 2014 at 11:02 AM

I love what Kirsten said and amen it!

I left my strawberry and beet green salad post for you, in honor of the contents of your box this week.

July 15, 2014 at 12:37 PM

You are awesome Tessa. Thank you so much!

PS. Always need more ideas for beet greens!! I wanna make them into juice but I have no blender. Thanks for sharing! xo!

Tara @ Rovin' Rambler
    July 9, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Your CSA haul looks amazing! Although I think you meant to say that you’re “tuber excited” about your potato haul. Haha oh man, bad pun.

I’d love to do a post one of these weeks on my local produce market here in Malaysia.

July 15, 2014 at 12:38 PM

hahahahahahahahahaha! you. are. hilarious.

PS. Can’t wait to see what you get in Malaysia.

July 9, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Welcome back love. It’s great to have you and your own veggie goodness at the party.

July 15, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Thank you my love!! It’s great to be here (veggies and all). Also, it makes me super happy you’re here too. xo!

July 10, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Wow! I am living vicariously through your CSA box right now! Thank you for hosting this link up. This is my first time adding my link–Strawberry Kefir Smoothie. Strawberries are all the rage in California right now 🙂

July 15, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Oooooh Christine!!! Blueberries are early here and I’m still waiting for strawberries but I’ll def be getting on that smoothie bandwagon once they show up. You guys get more heat (earlier) than I think we do here in Vancouver. Thanks for linking up! Glad to see you 🙂