I literally can’t sit down right now.
The reason for that is in part due to how excited I am to get you hammered today. The other reason is because my ass hurts so much from sitting in one position on the floor all day creating a menu plan for the Food Blogger’s of Canada that I can’t fathom subjecting it to any more ass-object contact than I already have.
…Not that kind of ass-object contact. I mean sitting. Jeez.
Okay so enough ass talk (that’s what she said). Let’s talk WHISKEY!
You and I both know how much I love whiskey (whisky?). In all its forms. Not just bourbon. Gimme a scotch, rye or any other fermented grain mash booze concoction and I am one smitten (and likely drunk) kitten. Let’s be honest though – I’m fairly indiscriminate when it comes to most types of alcohol.
Smash it all up with farm fresh, locally seasonal produce and I’m happy as a pig in shit.
…To be fair, it wasn’t exactly a difficult challenge. Not like the electrocution – yes, electrocution – tough mudders have to endure as they crawl through various obstacles covered in filth or the dedication and effort it takes to climb the Grouse Grind… In less than an hour. More like, I had to leave a comment on their feed saying what I would do with the syrup. The Lori’s Salt Caramel Syrup.
Hang on a sec.
Salt. Caramel. Syrup.
Let’s just talk about that for a second shall we? It’s Tahitian vanilla, GMO, HFCS & preservative free Boyajian maple, and French Celtic sea salt hand-harvested from the Bay of Biscay. Holy shit. Or should I say, holy maple.
So let’s get this straight. We know I like whiskey (whisky?). We know I like salt caramel from the times I made boozy dulce de leche sauce and cinnamon sugar cookies with salt caramel drizzle…. Now put your hands together, my friends. Ooooooh yeah.
So the winning answer? I “hatched” (get it?) a plan to mix that sweet, sweet nectar into a slurpalicious concoction made from seasonal strawberry purée, torn basil, fresh lime juice and butt-loads of bourbon with a bacon salt rim.
Now, the bacon salt rim didn’t quite make it onto the drink. I wish it had, now that I know it’s fucking #BaconMonth!!! …But it didn’t. I ate the last of the bacon for breakfast that very morning. But I did follow through with the rest of my promise. And hence was born, the Sparkling Strawberry Lime Whiskey Smash.
Now if that’s not better than ass-object contact, I don’t know what is.
- 4 Ounces Bourbon (I like Woodford Reserve but Maker's Mark would work too).
- 1 Lb Organic Strawberries.
- 1 Oz Lori's Salt Caramel Syrup.
- Juice of 4 Limes.
- Small Handful of Fresh Basil.
- Couple Splashes of Soda Water.
- Chuck the strawberries in a blender or food processor. Puree for 30 seconds. If desired, strain to remove seeds (I didn't bother).
- Grab the limes as that works and roll them on the counter with the heel of your hand. This will help the juices release when you're ready.
- Divide and chuck the basil, salt caramel syrup, lime juice and bourbon into 2 tall, wide mouthed glasses - or mason jars - and muddle lightly with a wooden spoon.
- Fill the glasses with ice. Pour in the strawberry puree and leave about an inch of headroom at the top of the glass. Top up with soda water. Stir.
- Garnish with a fresh sprig of basil and a sliced strawberry.
- Drink your pretty little face off.
What’s your whiskey (Whisky?) of choice? How the hell do I spell whiskey? Are you indulging this Summer? What drinks are getting you all hot and bothered? Are you participating in bacon month? Do you follow me on Instagram yet? (I pretty much live there). Spill it!