Brunch/ Condiments/ Fall/ Preserving & Canning/ Recipe

Wine Spiced Plum Preserves

Is it just me, or is breakfast freaking awesome?

Wine Spiced Plum Preserves Recipe - SheEats.ca

Pastured eggs atop fresh veggies. Crisp (but not too crisp) salty bacon. Hearty Oatmeal and Pumpkin. Toasted bread (aka toast) loaded up with delicious, organic butter.  Waffles slathered in low and slow Fall pear butter. Cookies (yes, cookies). Omelets loaded with roasted veggies – my go-to not sure what to do with CSA vegetables. Breakfast skillet potatoes. Breakfast skillet CAKE.

My favourite though? The thing I crave beyond crave for breaky-mc-breakfast? Fluffy, homemade pancakes and fruit. Served up with a side of freshly brewed coffee laced with Baileys.

Like Meghan says, “breakfast is kind of my shit”.

Wine Spiced Plum Preserves Recipe - SheEats.caWine Spiced Plum Preserves Recipe - SheEats.ca

Seriously. I’m a morning person. Like, annoyingly so. As soon as the sun peeks it’s shiny head over the tops of the North Shore mountains, I’m perked up like Madonna’s boobs, circa 1990. Up and at ’em, I always say! Morning’s here!

I bound out of bed, throw on my yoga pants (because I live in Kitsilano, yo), grab my breakfast and get to work! Or, if you’re the unfortunate, slow-to-wake-up soul that happens to be in the vicinity, I get to jabbering your ear off.

Yep, that’s me. I’m that girl.

Wine Spiced Plum Preserves Recipe - SheEats.ca

Wine Spiced Plum Preserves Recipe - SheEats.ca

And I like to think that even though Summer is finished and the fruits of such are quickly being replaced by more solemn, less vibrantly loud (but equally delicious) produce, that I’m in good company. Even if you, my friend, take your time crawling out of bed, I have the Autumn plum to keep my attention all morning long.

Stay with me here. I know this is getting weird.

Think about it. Plums. They’re sweet and juicy – kind of like the first kiss of morning. But they’re also often a bit sour, kind of like the resistance we feel to getting up each morning at the insistence of our alarm clocks (I don’t do that btw… Alarm clocks and I are not friends). They have prickly little pits which if you gently ease out of the core, leave behind nothing but smooth, juicy fruitness. KIND OF LIKE how coffee draws out the morning monster from each of us, replacing it with something a little less volatile. Then you steep em in booze and they’re good to go for the day.

…Kind. Of. Like. Me.

Okay, that analogy may have been a bit far fetched. And stupid. But I really needed a segue to get from point A to point B. So let’s roll with it.

Plums. They’re in season now and we’re getting them weekly in our CSA from Farm City Co-Op. Now there’s only so many plums a gal can eat in a week so I was faced with the dilemma of what to do with them. The solution? With the cooler temperatures blowing in and the ever-pressing need for breakfast, I cooked those babies down in a bit of wine and spices, creating a sweetly spiced preserve reminiscent of – eek – Christmas.

…Too early?

Wine Spiced Plum Preserves Recipe - SheEats.ca

Albeit I kind of obliterated them and they became a sopping mess but man alive they tasted good. Scooped up on homemade pancakes with a bit of fresh whipping cream and you don’t even have to worry whether or not your maple syrup is actually maple syrup. You can just omit the sugar and mow down on the sweet, natural goodness that these plums provide.

Or, you know. Leave them for me. I’m okay with that too.

Wine Spiced Plum Preserves

Prep

Cook

Total

Yield 4 servings

Ingredients

• 15 Ripe medium sized plums, halved and pits removed
  • 2 C Water
  • 1 C Dry red wine
  • 1/4 C organic local honey
  • 1 Cinnamon stick
  • 8 Cloves
  • Nutmeg, freshly grated
  • 1 Vanilla Pod, halved and seeds scraped out (you'll be using the seeds, not the pod. Save the pod for another time)
  • 1 Lemon, for juice
  • To serve, Saturday Pancakes and fresh whipped cream.

Instructions

1. Chuck everything in a heavy based sauce pan. Bring to a gentle boil over medium-high heat, stirring gently and often. Once it begins to boil, turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer about 12 minutes. Ladle the plums out of the liquid and place in a clean jar or container.
  2. The plums will keep up to a week in the fridge. If they last that long.

Is breakfast YOUR shit? What’s your go to breakfast during the week? Do you indulge on the weekends? Are you a morning person? Not so much? Can we still be friends? Spill it!

ORDER YOUR COPY BEFORE YOU GO HUNGRY!

Join the celebration of the very best that life has to offer—good friends, good food, good drink and great stories —with humor, delicious and inventive recipes, and mouth-watering photographs for each and every dish!

September 29, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Kristy these pancakes look awesome. I’m sad that the plum tree I forage from has succumbed to the same extreme cold that killed the peach buds, but it makes sense, being a stone fruit and all. Good thing the apples, pears, and figs are unaffected.
    I admit I can’t stand eating when I first wake up. Give me my mug of Lady Grey with some half & half in it and I’m good for a few hours. Then I’m ready to eat.
    If I wake up *before* the dawn and have some quiet time to myself, by the time the rest of the household is up I’m ready to join in for breakfast.

Unless we’re going to the Waffle House. Then I’ll devour an entire plate of chocolate chip waffles with great pleasure.

And there is no such thing as ‘too crispy’ bacon.
    Kirsten recently published…Cranberry Pecan Green BeansMy Profile

September 29, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Oh that’s so sad Kirsten! I’m sorry to hear that – at least you have apples, pears and figs though. Those are nothing to snub your nose at. Unless of course you’re snubbing your nose right in them and then that’s fantastic and delicious. 😉

PS. You go to a waffle house???? I wanna come. I may not like my bacon as crispy as you do, but when we do breakfast I’ll remember extra crispy for you, extra waffles for me. haha…

September 29, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Breakfast is kinda my shit. ♫ “Cause it’s the real shit, shit to make em feel shit. Lump em in the club shit.” ♫

Love that song and love this plate of sloppy goodness. I would tear that apart and eat with my bare hands if necessary. You’d give me a fork though wouldn’t ya? I knew it.

September 30, 2014 at 10:45 AM

You can definitely have a fork. Or at least a spork.

Ken Dowell
    September 29, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Like the phrase “coffee draws out the morning monster from each of us.” An interesting way to think of it, although I’m a bit troubled by the fact that it takes me two or three cups.
    Ken Dowell recently published…A Baseball Fan Memoir Chapter 3 – On the Banks of the CuyahogaMy Profile

September 30, 2014 at 10:46 AM

hahahaha maybe your monster has just extra big claws in which to hold on to you Ken 😉

Lenie
    September 30, 2014 at 7:04 AM

Kristy, I am definitely NOT a morning person – don’t speak to me before 10am. That is also the time when I have breakfast and yours looks so good, I would turn it into brunch and do two meals in one.

September 30, 2014 at 10:47 AM

HA! Deal Lenie. Before 10am, I will zip a lip. And make you brunchfast 😉

Jacqueline Gum
    September 30, 2014 at 10:52 AM

I am with you! I am up every day early enough to see the sun rise:) Not much of a breakfast person, except for weekends and brunch truly is a favorite meal:) So this is worth trying…I love plums and this sounds delicious!
    Jacqueline Gum recently published…Respect… Where’s The Justice?My Profile

September 30, 2014 at 10:54 AM

There’s something so serene about sunrise, isn’t there? Assuming you’re waking up for it and not coming home from it. Ouch. Nothing worse than that. Luckily, once I hit 30, my age forces me into bed long before the wee hours of the morning.

Tim
    September 30, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Alarm clocks have never been my friend either and neither has early morning. But, if I had a plate of what is shown in photo number two waiting for me I would most certainly make the change. I do love breakfast even though it usually falls more in the brunch hour for me.
    Tim recently published…Departing the IndiesMy Profile

September 30, 2014 at 6:19 PM

hahahaha I would never ask you to change Tim… Though I’d happily share my brunch with you 🙂

Beth Niebuhr
    September 30, 2014 at 4:16 PM

I love plums and your recipe looks so good! I’m a morning person and really savor the early hours of the day.
    Beth Niebuhr recently published…What’s the Problem?My Profile

September 30, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Cheers (with coffee, of course) Beth to morning people!!

La Cuisine Helene
    September 30, 2014 at 5:10 PM

This looks incredible, I would eat this for breakfast 🙂
    La Cuisine Helene recently published…Apple PieMy Profile

September 30, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Thank you Helene! I would share it with you 🙂

nourished roots
    September 30, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Your photos and recipes are all so beautiful I couldn’t resist nominating you for the Liebster Award. You can read all about it on my blog. Enjoy!

October 1, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Oh thank you Teri!! Both for the compliments and the nomination 🙂 On my way to check it out xo!

William Rusho
    October 1, 2014 at 1:09 PM

That looks delicious. I always feel bad and jealous when I read these food blogs, I cannot boil water.

October 2, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Aw William!Also little known secret: Up until I started my food blog, I lived off KraftDinner casseroles and beef taco salad. End story. Just takes a little time and patience (and the need for speed! Or in this case, real scratch food) 😉

andleeb
    October 1, 2014 at 9:07 PM

This recipe is looking so good. I love plums and will surely try this soon. I always try to get up early in morning.
    andleeb recently published…Pallandri, Azad Kashmir.My Profile

October 2, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Plums are one of the best parts of Fall if you ask me! 🙂 Let me know it works out for you my friend.

Janice @Kitchen Heals Soul
    October 1, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Plum preserves are the best thing ever, especially with wine in them! Great idea! Because breakfast should always come with booze 😉
    Janice @Kitchen Heals Soul recently published…Bundle up | it’s OctoberMy Profile

October 2, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Hey Janice! I totally agree. More breakfast? = More Booze!! hehehe

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe
    October 2, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Dude, if I can put wine in my breakfast and no one will judge me for it, you know I’m totally there! In all seriousness though, these preserves sound dope, and those pancakes look fantastically fluffy! Breakfast is totally my shit.
    Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe recently published…Brown Butter Cornflake Marshmallow Skillet CookieMy Profile

October 2, 2014 at 9:50 AM

I will never judge you for putting wine in your breakfast Amanda. Not in the plum preserves or your cup or even your milk. …. okay, maybe your milk.

xoxo

Pamela Chollet
    October 2, 2014 at 12:52 AM

If I could make pancakes that looked like the ones pictured here, I’d be filling out an application for “The Worlds Biggest Loser” . Maybe it’s a blessing in disguise. I’m drooling as I type.
    Pamela Chollet recently published…3 Simple Tips For Controlling AnxietyMy Profile

October 2, 2014 at 9:51 AM

HAHAHA Pamela! It took me a second to figure out what you meant. I was like “WTF did I do to her????” And then I realized you meant the TV show. That’s a compliment and I’ll TAKE IT! 🙂 Thank you so much!

Jo-Anna
    October 3, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Breakfast is my favourite meal too – I look forward to it as I’m going to bed at night haha! I’m loving this jam – I have a huge box of these plums in my pantry right now and they’re starting to get soft. I think I found my solution! Have a great weekend!
    Jo-Anna recently published…Pumpkin Spice French ToastMy Profile

October 11, 2014 at 12:41 PM

hahahahaha you LITERALLY have sugar plums dancing in your head at night Jo-Anna! 🙂

Our Fresh Kitchen
    October 3, 2014 at 12:31 PM

I love Plums!!! They are delicious and nutritive. I just hope we have more of them. Thanks for sharing this recipe. The pancakes is something we might try this weekend. They look delicious.

October 11, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I totally agree – pancakes and plums are worth it both for flavor and for nutrients. Bring it on!! 🙂

Angela
    October 3, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Kristy – that recipe looks wonderful! It looks like a good topping for oatmeal too. I pinned it for later. Thanks.
    Angela recently published…FIVE HEALTHY BREAKFAST OPTIONS USING SUBSTITUTIONMy Profile

October 11, 2014 at 12:42 PM

OOooooooh! Yes Angela!! I haven’t had oatmeal in ages. Excellent idea.

Wanda
    October 23, 2014 at 12:22 PM

I love cooked plums in any variation. This preserve looks simply delicious!
    Wanda recently published…Brownie CakeMy Profile

Best Blogs of 2014 - North & South NomadsNorth & South Nomads
    December 18, 2014 at 11:22 AM

[…] I always have this belief that you put a bit of your personality into what you cook. If you’re a gorgeous, infectiously fun person like Kristen Gardner of She Eats is, you can understand why I dig her recipes so much. Her posts are always accompanied by beautiful photos, and she includes alcoholic drink creations, too, which is awesome! Here’s some Christmas food and drink for you to check out:  Cinnamon Apple Whiskey Sour and Wine Spiced Plum Preserves. […]