Recipe/ Vegetarian

Roasted Stuffed Potatoes with Bacon & Sage

It’s official: I lied. Or at least, I omitted. And don’t they say omission is just a lie in disguise?

Don’t worry though. It wasn’t a big lie. I don’t know who killed Kennedy, or whether the USA were actually the first people on the moon or even if Elvis is really dead.

Roasted Stuffed Potatoes with Bacon & Sage - SheEats.ca

Here’s my lie: I didn’t tell you it was my birthday on the 6th. I also didn’t tell you that it was She Eats birthday last month too. Which means that for the past month, I’ve aged quietly and unassumingly. Kind of like a good bottle of wine. Only to be discovered one day as something beautiful, graceful and oh so sin worthy.

Truth: Calories don’t count on your birthday. Which means for the past month – between She Eat’s anniversary and my real birthday – none of the calories I’ve eaten have gone to my waistline or my hips or my boobs.

Man, this “lying”… it’s pathological. Or at least habitual. The scale tells a different story. But I think she’s got her own problems. I mean come on! Who consecrates their entire being to telling people they’re too fat?

Community Garden - SheEats.caRoasted Stuffed Potatoes with Bacon & Sage - SheEats.caFresh Squash leaves - SheEats.ca

Okay, okay. It may not be the scale’s fault. The more likely culprit is our number-obsessed-skinny-youth-centric-girl culture. And then we internalize it and police both ourselves and each other. Ageism is alive and well my friends. So let’s take a moment to be gentle with ourselves, and give our pant-size, laugh lines and love handles a little wiggle room. It’s like dancing.  And let’s face it, life is so much more fun when you’re dancing. Let it shake, rattle and roll I always say.

So it’s true. She Eats turned 4 last month. 4. If she were a human she’d like be waffling between feelings of security insecurity, testing out her environment and independence, eager to show off her accomplishments, showing interest and curiosity in her sexuality and would be flowing over with tall tales. She’d almost be a real person. And yet she’s still so new! I feel like it was only this past year that I actually got serious about her. Sure, I’ve published 600 posts (601 as of today) but did I ever really focus on where I wanted this relationship to go? Not really. Not until last Fall. And even then, it’s a work in progress.

Whoa. If I ever heard an argument for A.I….. This could be it. My blog may be ground zero.

Dinosaur Kale - Community Garden - SheEats.ca

So why didn’t I tell you about the birthdays when they happened? Unlike other years, I was fully conscious of when they arrived. I could have written posts then and there and celebrated with kazoos and glitter and tutus. Maybe I should have. Maybe I should have shouted it from the roof tops and led a band down the street. 4 years of (mostly) consistent writing and photography and post-processing and editing and relationship building and friendship nurturing and being generally awesome is kind of a big deal. I don’t know. I guess I felt a little self conscious.

Roasted Stuffed Potatoes with Bacon & Sage - SheEats.ca

I mean I may have 30 years on this blog, but I still waffle between feelings of security and insecurity. I’m still testing out my environment and independence. I’m still eager to show off my accomplishments. I definitely have an interest and curiosity about my sexuality. And as evidenced above, tall tales seem to be something of an art for me. I’m so proud of the things I’ve done and excited about where my life will take me. I don’t have a lot of plans but I do have a general direction with the goals to leave the world a better place than whence I entered it, to laugh, and to love my friends and family fully and completely and compassionately.

Roasted Stuffed Potatoes with Bacon & Sage - SheEats.ca

But those goals don’t always fit with our culture’s values. Not really. Sure, thou shalt not kill and all that. (I don’t believe in God btw.) But the consumerism, the Monday to Friday lifestyle that facilitates material accumulation and the need to party-hardy on Saturday nights and work my 6-pack at the corporate gym just doesn’t work for me. And as I get older, it makes me a little self conscious – of not defensive – in the Winter of my darkest moments. It just doesn’t fit for me or my little blog.  I’m not sure it ever will.

…I’m blaming the scale. And now for Roasted Stuffed Potatoes with Bacon & Sage.

Roasted Stuffed Potatoes Recipe - She Eats

Roasted Stuffed Potatoes with Bacon and Sage

Prep

Cook

Total

Yield 4 potatoes

Ingredients

• 4 Medium-sized waxy potatoes, skin left on
  • 4 Slices good quality, pastured bacon
  • Handful of fresh sage leaves
  • 4 Good-quality anchovy fillets in oil, drained
  • 1 Clove of garlic, peeled & sliced lengthwise 2X to make 4 little pieces
  • 1 Lemon for zest
  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • Coarse sea salt & fresh cracked black pepper

Instructions

1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. As it heats, stick one end of a pineapple or apple corer, or a conventional peeler, into a potato and twist it round and round as you cut through, as if you were coring an apple - essentially you're trying to carve out a tubular hole inside the potato. Keep the cores as you will use them as plugs to hold everything in later. Prick each potato a few times with a fork so they don't explode in the oven (it allows the heat to dissipate) and rub them in a little olive oil, salt and pepper.
  2. Lay out the stuffing for each potato: 1 slice of bacon topped with a couple of sage leaves, an anchovy fillet and a sliver of garlic. Grate over some lemon zest. Fold and twist the stuffing together and stuff into each potato. Don't worry if you have bits sticking out at either end.
  3. Cut the potato "plugs" in half and stuff them back in either end of each potato to keep the stuffing in place during cooking. They'll stick out a bit, but that's fine.
  4. Put the potatoes in a baking tray and bake about an hour, turning them every so often to ensure even cooking, until crisp, golden and cooked through. When you can stick a fork in 'em, they're done.
  5. Remove from the oven, serve.

Eat.

Notes

When used in cooking, anchovies dissolve and do NOT taste fishy. They add a brilliant briny, salty, "umami" flavor to the finished dish and are pretty much my favorite secret ingredient.

How do you age gracefully? Ungracefully? What have you done for 4 years? Do you like potatoes? How do you prepare them? Spill it!

ORDER YOUR COPY BEFORE YOU GO HUNGRY!

Join the celebration of the very best that life has to offer—good friends, good food, good drink and great stories —with humor, delicious and inventive recipes, and mouth-watering photographs for each and every dish!

Becky
    October 13, 2014 at 10:41 AM

I don’t think I’ve ever really celebrated my blog’s anniversary, although I do mention my birthday. And while I’ve got a few years on you, I still am not exactly sure where me or my blog is headed….So there.
    Becky recently published…Green Tomato PicklesMy Profile

October 13, 2014 at 4:45 PM

HAHA – at least we’re confused (or unsure) together Becky 🙂

October 13, 2014 at 4:13 PM

I’m gonna be 50 in a couple of months. Am I aging gracefully? Well, I’m noticing in photos I look a little more ‘rode hard put up wet’ than I used too . . . but it doesn’t bother me. Much. I’m having fun.

What have I done for 4 years? Well, in October 2010 I lived in Virginia and was solo parenting my 5th and 7th graders while my spouse was anticipating his 40th birthday towards the end of a year long tour in Iraq. Some things have changed–kids are older, he came back, left, and came back again, we moved to the middle of the country, I started blogging. Some things have not changed–we still eat from the farm share, we still own a TV that lives in the basement, we still garden, we still like to explore.

I love potatoes and anchovies–and this sounds delicious. I usually take a page from Meghan and roast a mess of potatoes, though.
    Kirsten recently published…Easy Frosted Pumpkin Cream Cheese MuffinsMy Profile

October 13, 2014 at 4:48 PM

I hope when I hit 50 I’m rode hard put up wet Kirsten!! Or at least look like it. hahaha…

PS. Those are some serious changes in 4 years my friend. You’re so strong and courageous. So is your spouse. I admire your ability to pick up and relocate as well as shoulder so much while he’s away. That and the fact that you like fresh veggies. Those are good too.

Amy
    October 13, 2014 at 5:35 PM

This, is fantastic. I’ve note been blog reading for about a year now. I’ve missed your witticism and truths, and of course these fantastic recipes. Even though I loathe anchovies, I’m going to try this one!

October 15, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Oh Amy – you and me both my friend. A lot has happened this year and it’s been a bit tricky to keep up with everyone’s blogs but I’m SO stoked to see your name in my feed and I DO check up on you from time to time too. You’re amazing. I’ve missed your honesty 🙂

Anna (Hidden Ponies)
    October 13, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Well, happy belated birthday on BOTH counts! I wish some of my calories would go to my boobs, not gonna lie. I need to find me some waxy potatoes and make these babies.
    Anna (Hidden Ponies) recently published…Monday Moments: SO many of usMy Profile

October 15, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Thank you so much Anna!! You can have some of mine – calories or boobs. hahahaha..

PS. Can’t wait to meet you soon!

October 14, 2014 at 6:52 AM

If you want to blame these potatoes, I’m fine with that.

I do not age gracefully. In fact, I did a post on it, and quoted Dylan Thomas. “Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.”

I’m a wee bit vain, so this aging stuff has been tough for me. That being said I’m learning to let go and accept things, come what may. I also think consumerism is a huge suck of everything. I don’t see the need to get a six pack abs or buy all the things. Sure I’d like to buy all the food at the farmers market and frolic in fields of green, but happiness for me comes in a different size and color, and I like that.

October 15, 2014 at 5:01 PM

I LOVED your post Meghan. It’s so honest and candid and funny and wonderful. I’ll be honest, the bumps on the hips that have shown up since I passed 30 ARE a bother to me. And I’m a bit nervous about yellowing teeth. Weird, right? But at least we’re in it together. With all the food at the farmers market and trips to frolic in fields of green.

PS. Whenever I see a field of green – like a real one – I feel a huge urge to run as far and fast as I can over it and then roll all over the place.

erin {yummy supper}
    October 15, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Happy belated birthday to you both!
    xoxo
    E
    erin {yummy supper} recently published…MAPLE GLAZED CARROTS WITH CINNAMON, CUMIN, HAZELNUTS + MINTMy Profile

October 15, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Oh Erin – thank you so much! I appreciate your wishes heaps. And your glazed carrots. those look INCREDIBLE.

Melanie @ Bon Appet'Eat
    October 16, 2014 at 9:02 AM

What a great idea, I love it, it is simple yet the kind of recipe that would be a huge success! Thanks for sharing 🙂
    Melanie @ Bon Appet’Eat recently published…French savory spinach CrêpesMy Profile

October 17, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Thanks Melanie! I love simple recipes – no need for fuss or muss. Unless the fuss is to open the wine bottle 😉

Jo-Anna
    October 16, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Happy double birthday! Btw, this post and your photos are beautiful…I love everything about it. You make me want to put these in the oven right now. 🙂
    Jo-Anna recently published…Tortellini Vegetable SoupMy Profile

October 17, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Aw thanks Jo-Anna!! I appreciate that so much. Your soup isn’t looking so shabby itself! xo! Thank you for taking the time to comment. It’s great to hear from you!

Jennifer Andrews
    October 17, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Happy belated birthday and blogiversary! I have a gigantic sage plant and am always looking for inventive ways to use it up. Thanks for the idea!
    Jennifer Andrews recently published…Spaghetti squash Pad ThaiMy Profile

October 28, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Thank you so much Jennifer! I know what you mean. Sage can get out. of. control. …In a good way 😉

Morgan @ Wildly Fit
    October 17, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Why have I never stuffed anything inside a potato before?!?!? this is brilliant 🙂
    Morgan @ Wildly Fit recently published…Chilli Spiced Sweet Potato & Chicken Bake RecipeMy Profile

October 28, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Those were my thoughts exactly Morgan! ….Though your chilli spiced sweet potato chicken bake is pretty darn good too. Brilliant, even.

Sarah | (Cooking for) Kiwi & Bean
    October 17, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Happy birthday to you and your blog! And those are some mean looking potatoes. Yum.
    Sarah | (Cooking for) Kiwi & Bean recently published…Brain Boosting Banana Berry Breakfast BarsMy Profile

October 28, 2014 at 6:24 PM