Announcements/ Ramblings

Currently: The February 2015 (I don’t care that there’s no recipe) Edition

Ah balls. I just did a whole new blog design (isn’t it shiny?) and thus, I don’t have a recipe to share with you this week. Instead of developing delicious, seasonal dishes I spent the last week organizing, updating and revamping the entire site (including a drop dead sexy new recipe index) and crying, stomping and throwing a veritable fit when the HTML wouldn’t do as I said.

My friends, the last week has been an interesting mix of blood, sweat and bourbon getting ‘er up and running and so instead of farmer’s market fresh vegetables, I got CSS code. Which you don’t give two cow patties about, right?

So let’s steal a card out of Meghan’s playbook and talk about what’s happening in my universe right now. This is “Currently”, the February 2015 (I don’t care that there’s no recipe) edition.

Current Book: Vampire Academy. Yep. I said it. I am officially a 14 year old girl. I just finished the first one and I’m kind of excited to read the second. I also have Lena Dunham’s book Not That Kind of Girl sitting on my night stand but I haven’t had a chance to pick it up yet. Along with about 6 cookbooks that need reviewing here.

Vampire Academy - SheEats.ca

Current Music: The playlist Jayme sent me. I can’t turn it off. But that doesn’t tell you much. So also, The Counting Crows and Ani Difranco just put new albums out this Fall and I’ve just gotten around to downloading them (legally) and am making my way through the tracks.

I just got tickets to go see The Counting Crows – no big deal, but I’ve been waiting literally 15 years to see them live.

Care Package -SheEats.ca

Current Guilty Pleasure: Cocktails in the middle of the day. By myself. There’s something so peaceful – yet so intimidating – about sitting alone in a restaurant.

Beer in the afternoon - SheEats.ca

Current Non-Guilty Pleasure: Walking. I don’t run. At least not for very long. I hate running. But I love walking. And I’m slowly but surely melting away the 20 pounds of relationship weight I’ve gained over the past 6 years. 6 pounds gone, 14 to go!

Stanley Park Vancouver - SheEats.ca

Current Drink: Sexy dirty coffee drinks: Shafts.

Shaft Coffee Drink Recipe - SheEats.ca

Current Food: I’m absolutely obsessed with lentils, eggs and roasted veggies. Any roasted veggies. This particular mash up of sweet potatoes, kale and cauliflower really gets me going. I think there’s even some leftover (almost fuzzy in the back of the fridge) beets in there.

Lentil Recipe - SheEats.ca

Current Favourite Show: 12 Monkeys. Yes, that 12 Monkeys. It was an epic film in 1995; 20 years later, it’s one of the only shows I don’t PVR for later. I need it and I need it now.

Current Wish List: These glasses from Liquorary. I just want to fill them with all kinds of beautiful and delicious boozy concoctions.

Cocktail Glasses - SheEats.ca

Current Needs: Balance. I’ve been working my tail off designing websites and trying to do recipe development for the blog and writing articles for my freelance jobs. I’m fucking exhausted. I don’t deal well when things get out of whack – in fact, I lose my patience (what patience?) and happy very quickly when things go wonky. I need to level out the scales.

Current Indulgence: I bought a god damn bed this weekend! It’s been 7 years this Summer that John and I have been together and for all that time we’ve been sleeping on a double sized mattress. The night our knees don’t clang together will be a good one indeed.

EQ3 Modern Bed - SheEats.ca

Current Triumphs: After heeding the advice of this fine mo’ fo, I took a risk and am now the seasonal cocktail writer of Edible Vancouver. First column out this Spring!

Current Epiphany: You have to live your truth. Sometimes that means trying something new, sometimes that means staying the course, sometimes it means changing (and even quitting) – but you have to be true to you and live what makes you happy. Whatever that looks like and however that changes.

Kitsilano Beach Vancouver - SheEats.ca

Current Bane of Existence: My sleeve tattoo. I’m in the process of getting it coloured but hot damn it hurts.

Real Food Tattoo - SheEats.ca

Current Thankfulness: My Momma. And Brother. It’s been indescribably difficult since Dad died in October. I love them.

Current Excitement: Spring. Bring it.

Current Breakfast: Avocado Toasts. And baileys and coffee.

Avocado Toast Breakfast - SheEats.ca

Current Fear: That I’ll make the wrong choice. The epiphany above? Yeah….

Current Nail Colour: Hot pink. Because the cherry blossom trees are blooming in Vancouver right now and I’m so stoked for longer days, more sun and bright flowers I want them all over my paws.

Pink Nail Colour -  SheEats.ca

Current Life Obsession: Instagram. But that’s no surprise.

Instagram Food - SheEats.cs

Current Procrastination: Organizing the books and DVDs. Normally I get all Monica about this kind of thing but I need to move the cookbooks down (before they break the shelf), the DVDs over and then relocate the “Social Justice” section to where the cookbooks are. It isn’t the distance the books have to move, it’s the act of doing it. Suck it up Kristy.

Cookbooks - SheEats.ca

Current Links: Twitter advanced search. How lame am I, right? I’m using it to find new design clients though and it’s working phenomenally well. Also, baby goat videos.

Current Mood: Confused. Not gonna lie. I’m still mourning my Dad and I’m struggling with which direction to go in professionally. I love my life and I’m so lucky to get to do what I do on my terms. I feel like I’m at a crossroads right now though and can’t seem to get perspective.

Now let’s do you. How are you feeling? What are you currently up to? What are you loving right now? Hating? What’s current in your world?

ORDER YOUR COPY BEFORE YOU GO HUNGRY!

Join the celebration of the very best that life has to offer—good friends, good food, good drink and great stories —with humor, delicious and inventive recipes, and mouth-watering photographs for each and every dish!

Janice @Kitchen Heals Soul
    February 15, 2015 at 12:20 PM

I literally drove all the way to Virginia Beach (that’s a little over 14 hours away) because I managed to snag tickets to Counting Crows. It was back in 2003, I think. It was before John Mayer was famous so he actually opened the show for them. Ah, to be young again 😉
    I hope for your sake they are playing a little closer to home!
    Janice @Kitchen Heals Soul recently published…Homemade croissants | for the love of butterMy Profile

February 18, 2015 at 5:17 PM

Oh my Janice!! That’s quite the trip. I totally get it though. they’re awesome. Luckily I just have to take the bus downtown (12 minutes or so) and I’ll be there. I’m jealous you got to road trip though!

Amie
    February 15, 2015 at 12:51 PM

Love the new website design 🙂 And I cannot wait to see pictures of your completed sleeve!
    Amie recently published…FridayMy Profile

holley
    February 15, 2015 at 1:20 PM

Your order resonate, and I think we may be secret soul mates…hot pink sparkles tip my fingers, day drinking and so many other things I say YES! E-hug you beautiful soul.
    holley recently published…Paleo Chocolate Lavender MuffinsMy Profile

February 25, 2015 at 2:28 PM

E-hug to you lovely woman!! I can’t wait to see you next 🙂 At some point. We must paint finger nails, drink during the day and have so much fun.

Becky
    February 15, 2015 at 1:52 PM

I love this post. I have so many responses to all of your current obsessions I can’t even begin, but I think you should come here and visit sometime so we can have bourbon and cherries in all the formats we both like.
    Becky recently published…Musings on knitting.My Profile

February 25, 2015 at 2:29 PM

Aw Becky! I feel that way every time I read Meghan’s posts too. It’s like AHHHH But I agree with everything!!!! hahahaha

PS. Absolutely agree. On my way 😉

Gwen @simplyhealthyfamily
    February 16, 2015 at 9:38 AM

I love your coffee and tea photos, gorgeous! How fun, I saw CC & Ani DeFranco many years ago in concert love em’! Your site looks wonderful! I feel ya on the HTML bit, I just had a tantrum yesterday with what should have been a super simple add on.
    Gwen @simplyhealthyfamily recently published…Gluten Free Banana Blackberry Bread #NationalHeartMonthMy Profile

February 25, 2015 at 2:29 PM

Isn’t that always the way?? It’s like “JUST PUT THE AMPERSAND WHERE I SAY HTML!”

February 17, 2015 at 5:08 AM

Kristy,
    Congrats on the Edible gig!
    I like the freshness and how your amazing photography really shines.
    So very glad you moved back–it suits you and your blog.
    Kirsten recently published…Savory French Toast with Avocado and EggMy Profile

February 25, 2015 at 2:30 PM

Thank you lady love! You just made my day.

PS. You shine too. I’m so happy to see your smiling face.

February 17, 2015 at 4:21 PM

I love that you did the Currently post. It gave me such a wonderful glimpse into your world, outside of blogging, and I like what I see, shafts and all.

Congrats on the new blog design and the cocktail writing gig.

Also, with regards to your mood, I’m still here for you. Email anytime.

February 25, 2015 at 2:31 PM

hahahaha I do have a nice shaft 😉

Ps. Thank you my friend. I know it. I usually just want to crawl into a ball most days. But I will email instead.

Catherine
    February 17, 2015 at 8:22 PM

Dear Kristy, I love the new look! Love the photos…and a look into the life of a food blogger. Enjoy your ‘new’ site! Looking forward to seeing what recipe your new look has inspired. xo, Catherine
    Catherine recently published…Feta and Jalapeño Corn MuffinsMy Profile

February 25, 2015 at 2:34 PM

Thank you Catherine! Lots of clean eating, I’m afraid. I need to dirty this new website bitch up 🙂

Bobbie Gustafson
    February 19, 2015 at 12:27 PM

You. make. me. laugh. Thanks… I’m always super inspired from your posts. Sorry for your loss. And, the new recipe index is fan.tas.tic.
    Bobbie Gustafson recently published…Cooking & Eating The WHOLE BeastMy Profile

February 25, 2015 at 2:34 PM

hehehehehe all I aim to do Bobbie 😉

PS. Thank you for your words. It helps.

Jayme Henderson
    February 25, 2015 at 11:18 AM

heh heh…cow patties! 😉 I definitely used that expression more often, when I lived down in the South! Don’t judge, but I used to have cow patty fights with my girlfriends. It was crazy. Okay, there was a sneak peak into my redneck-ish past! And I’m so happy you are digging the playlist. I love old-school mix tape and CD swaps, for sure!

Congrats on the loss of pounds! I have been running, as well. All of my December and January baking caught up, but it was worth it all! 😉 What am I up to? I am on my second French press of the day. What color are my nails? Deep navy blue with a few chips. What am I listening to? Ray Lamontagne “Ojai.”

About your new site? I LOVE it. I love the citrus illustration on your logo. Hey, may I send you a trade for a copy of Edible Vancouver?! I’m super excited for your column! Alright, you have a great day, Kristy!
    Jayme Henderson recently published…citrus salt-rimmed tangerine margaritasMy Profile

February 25, 2015 at 2:35 PM

HA! I’m just glad someone knew what a cow patty was! high five to backwoods redneck childhoods!

PS. You hardly have to trade. Also: Watch your mail.

PPS. LOVE Ray Lamontagne!!