Fire Roasted Salsa Verde
- 6 Small-Medium Tomatillos, husked, rinsed, and dried.
- 1 Serrano Chili.
- 3 Cloves Garlic, peeled.
- 1/2 Red Onion, finely diced.
- 1 Small Handful Cilantro.
- 1 Lime for juice.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Kosher Salt & Fresh Cracked Black Pepper to taste.
- Pre-heat your BBQ (or broiler - if using this method, set your oven rack as close to the element as it will go) to high.
- Score a small "X" in the bum of the tomatillos, careful not to cut into the fruit. You just want to break the skin a bit so they don't explode from the heat. I also cut out the stem bit at the top.
- In a bowl toss the tomatillos, chili, and garlic with a couple Tbsp of olive oil.
- Place them over the heat (or under the broiler) and close the lid/door.
- Every 3-5 minutes, or as the veggies blacken, turn to ensure even charring. The garlic will become a pulpy mess so remove them from the heat after about 5 minutes in total.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a food processor, chuck in the blackened veggies along with everything else.
- Puree until you have a pulpy sauce. Pour into a bowl and set in the fridge to cool at least 1 hour.
Recipe by She Eats at https://sheeats.ca/2011/05/fire-roasted-salsa-verde/