Leeky Pear & Mushroom Toasts
- 1 Baguette, cut into 1" slices at an angle.
- 4 C Sliced Leeks (whites and just a touch of green).
- 1 Lb. Fresh Wild Mushrooms, roughly chopped.
- 1 D'Anjou Pear, diced with skins on.
- 1 Small Cipollini Onion, minced.
- 1 Bird's Eye Chili, thinly sliced.
- 2 Garlic Cloves, peeled and smashed.
- A Couple Sprigs of Fresh Thyme, stemmed & chopped.
- Small Handful of Fresh Flat-Leaf Italian Parsley, roughly chopped.
- 1/4 C Dry White Wine.
- Goat Cheese, to spread.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Good Quality Balsamic Vinegar.
- Kosher Salt & Fresh Cracked Black Pepper.
- Pre-heat your broiler.
- Heat a few glugs of olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks, stirring to coat, and cook for about 5 minutes.Add the pears, the white wine, and salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer about 5 minutes then reduce the heat to low.
- In a second pan, heat another glug of olive oil. Add the mushrooms, onion, thyme, and chili, seasoning with salt and pepper. Stir well to combine. Allow to cook down for about 8 minutes. Toss in a glug or two of balsamic vinegar, stir, and continue cooking a further 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Add the parsley.
- As your mushrooms cook, throw the sliced bread onto a baking sheet and under the broiler. Watch it - it'll burn quickly! Toast so the edges get nice and crispy - now you have crostinis! Remove from the heat and rub with the smashed garlic. Hello flavour!
- Smear the goat cheese on the crostinis, and pile with the leek mixture, followed by that of the mushrooms. Season lightly with a little salt.
Recipe by She Eats at https://sheeats.ca/2012/01/leeky-pear-mushroom-toasts/