Fancy-Pants Creamed Cauliflower Vanilla Puree with crispy fried florets
Yield 4 servings
- 1 Small to Medium Sized Cauliflower, greens removed and cut into florets of equal size (approx 2" pieces) + 2 Florets broken into small pieces.
- 1/2 Spanish Onion, peeled & diced.
- 2 Garlic Cloves, peeled & chopped.
- 1 C Cream or Homo Milk.
- Small Handful of Pecorino Romano Cheese, grated.
- Tbsp or 2 of Butter, room temperature.
- Half Vanilla Bean, cut in half and seeds spooned out.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- 1 C Vegetable Oil.
- Course Sea Salt & Fresh Cracked Black Pepper.
- Pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees F.
- As that heats, toss the 2" chopped cauliflower with a glug of olive oil and a good helping of salt and pepper. Arrange as a single layer in a baking pan, cut sides down. Place in heated oven uncovered for about 15 minutes. Shake the pan/flip the florets and then roast a further 10-15 minutes until tender with good color on them.
- As the cauliflower roasts, place the onion, garlic, cream and vanilla bean and seeds into a medium sized pot. Slowly heat over a medium temperature setting, stirring very often to ensure the cream doesn't burn.
- Once the cauliflower is done, add that to the mixture.
- Add the cheese and the butter, stir well.
- Using a hand blender or food processor, puree until smooth. Be careful - it's hot! Cover and set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok over medium heat. When it reaches 350 degrees, or a piece of white bread turns brown in 30-40 seconds, it's ready. Carefully place the tiny cauliflower florets in the oil with a slotted spoon and fry until golden. Remove with that same spoon and drain on paper towels. For more information on frying, click here.
- Plate the puree and top with some marinated mushrooms cut on the diagonal, or a steak cooked to your liking (cut the same way) - and maybe some chopped mushrooms, finishing off with a few pieces of the crispy cauliflower.
Recipe by She Eats at https://sheeats.ca/2012/06/fancy-pants-vanilla-creamed-cauliflower-puree-with-crispy-fried-florets/