Good sunny Monday morning to you sugar pops!
If you had a weekend at all like we did here on Vancouver Island, you’ve had a good one. Summer seems to have finally arrived for us! It’s about bloody time! For the past month and a half it’s barely been above 15 degrees C – for my American followers, that puts us at around 60 F – brrrrrrrrrr! So a change in season was much welcomed.
Raw Kale Salad Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Yield 4 servings
- 1 Big Bunch of Kale
- 2 Medium Sized Zucchini
- Small Handful of Raisins
- 1 C Quinoa
- 2 C Chicken or Veggie Stock
- 2 Lemons for juice and zest
- 1 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 C Finely Grated Grana Padano Cheese
- 1/2 Loaf of Bread (preferably day old).
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- Coarse Sea Salt and Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- 1/4 Good Quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- A few Tbsp Balsamic Reduction
- First, pre-heat your oven to 300 degrees F.
- Cut or break the bread into 1" pieces. Toss them in your food processor along with the juice of half a lemon and sprinkle with a little salt. Process until you have coarse bread crumbs. Spread on a baking sheet and dry in oven until golden, approximately 15-20 minutes. Set aside.
- Now cut zucchini in half across the middle width then again lengthwise. Drizzle a little oil over the zucchini and season well with salt and pepper. If you have a grill, you can BBQ the zucchini over medium heat for around 10 minutes. If not, once your bread crumbs are done turn your oven up to 500 degrees F and roast, cut side down for about 15-20 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool enough that you can pick them up. Gently spoon out the centers and dump in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- As the zucchini grills/roasts, cook the quinoa. Bring chicken or veggie stock, quinoa, the juice of half a lemon and cumin to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and allow to simmer for 12 - 15 minutes or all liquid has been absorbed. Remove from the heat, add the raisins, re-cover and allow to sit for 10 minutes and then fluff with a fork. Add to the zucchini centers.
- You're almost there! Break the stems off the kale and chiffonade (cut into thin strips). Add to the bowl.
- Turn your broiler to high.
- Make the dressing: whisk together the oil, garlic, zest of one lemon, and half the cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the entire contents of the bowl and mix well.
- Filler' up! Take a large handful of the salad mixture and place in each boat. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and then a good helping of the breadcrumbs.
- Top with remaining cheese. Broil briefly (about 40 seconds) to melt cheese. Remove from the oven.
- Serve, if desired, with a little balsamic reduction.