The Backyard Veggies Version of Green Tomato Chow Chow Chow (Or Relish to the great unwashed)
- 20 2-inch or so green tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 orange sweet peppers
- 2 red sweet peppers
- 1 Anaheim chili (You can also use a whole big red pepper, or some jalapenos or banana peppers for the Anaheim.)
- 1 - tablespoon + 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seed
- 1 - tablespoon celery seed
- 2 - cups cider vinegar
- 2 - cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Dice and chop first 5 ingredients to desired size. Put in a bowl and mix in other ingredients. Simmer on the stove for 2 hours. Process in water bath canner as noted above, or simply store the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
This stuff is good on anything with protein in it. Chicken, beef or pork. As a glaze, a topping, served over crackers and cream cheese. Added to sour cream and a little half and half as a salad dressing. Slurped out of the jar whilst hovering over your sink after the kid has gone to bed…Green Tomato Chow Chow Chow. Beauty, dude.
Adapted from Lindsey
Recipe by She Eats at https://sheeats.ca/2012/09/guest-post-lindsey-nw-backyard-veggies-green-tomato-chow-chow-chow/