And there’s a reason for that. Because it’s fucking delicious. Sweet, oozy, hot chocolately cake, with a side of cold vanilla ice cream = good, my friends.
Anyone who says they don’t like this dessert, is lying. Or doesn’t like chocolate. But who doesn’t like chocolate? Silly bitches.
Molten Chocolate Lava Fondant Pudding Cake
Yield 6 small cakes
- 4 Oz. Good Quality Dark Chocolate (chopped into small chunks).
- 4 Oz. Unsalted Butter, room temperature + extra for greasing.
- 2 Pastured Eggs + 1 Egg Yolk, room temperature, lightly beaten.
- 1/4 C Flour.
- 1/3 C Sugar.
- 1 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract.
- Pinch of Salt.
- 2 Tbsp Pomegranate Juice.
- To serve: Extra pomegranate seeds, good quality vanilla ice cream, candied ginger and fresh mint.
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 4 oven-proof ramekins with butter; Place on a heavy duty baking sheet. Set aside.
- Heat the chocolate and butter in a double boiler over medium heat until melted and silky, stirring constantly. Once smooth, remove from the heat and set aside. If you don't have a double boiler, just place a bowl over a pot with some water in it. Make sure the water will not touch the bowl once boiling - works just as good as a double boiler.
- Once the chocolate has been set aside, combine the eggs, salt and sugar in a medium sized bowl. Whisk until fluffy and most of the sugar has dissolved into the eggs. Stir in the vanilla and pomegranate juice.Gently fold in the cooled chocolate/butter mixture. Once combined, add the flour. Stir well.
- Pour batter into ramekins, leaving 1/3rd headroom in each container as the cake will rise slightly in the oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cake is firm on the sides. You don't want to cook it all the way through or you won't have any ooziness.
- Remove from the oven. Use a knife to loosen the sides. Using an oven mitt, carefully place a plate or shallow bowl over a cake filled ramekin. Gently turn upside down so the cake transfers from the ramekin to the plate. Serve with a side of good quality vanilla ice cream.
- To make pomegranate juice: Take 1 pomegranate. Cut it in half. Careful not to smash your fingers, hold the halfed fruit cut side down and bash the crap out of the top and sides with a wooden spoon - this will release the seeds rather effectively and quickly into a bowl. Remove any pithy parts. Place seeds in a food processor and process on high until all the seeds have been pulverized. Place a fine mesh siv over a bowl and pour the smashed seeds into that. Let the liquid drain into the bowl and voila - pomegranate juice!