Salted Chocolate Stout Truffles
For the Truffles:
- 2 C Stout Beer.
- 16oz Good Quality Dark Chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa), shaved or finely chopped.
For Coating (your preference):
- 8oz Good Quality Dark Chocolate.
- Cocoa Powder.
- Bashed Candy-Cane.
- Coconut Shavings.
- Chopped nuts.
- Chopped bacon.
- Coarse sea salt.
- Place a medium sized pot filled with the beer over high heat. Bring to a boil and watch carefully! Beer = bubbles - do not let it bubble over. Stir frequently and adjust from heat until most of the carbonation cooks out.
- Reduce by half.
- Remove from the heat and add the shaved/chopped chocolate. Stir until melted.
- Allow to cool to room temperature and then cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- Line a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Remove from the fridge and use a melon baller or spoon to scoop out a small amount of chocolate. Roll into a ball with your hands but be quick or it will melt. Don't worry too much if they aren't perfectly round - they taste just as good if they are rectangles or squares or oblong. Place on prepared baking sheets and chill in the fridge between 20 - 60 minutes.
- If you wish to temper chocolate to coat (makes em look fancy-pants):Chop the good quality chocolate into small pieces. Add about half of it to the top of a double boiler over medium heat (If you don’t have a double boiler, place a glass or metal bowl over a pot of water making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water). Stir until the chocolate reaches 115 for dark chocolate, 110 for milk or white chocolate - I don't have a thermometer. I just stirred the crap out of it until it was well melted. Remove from heat. Keep stirring until cool enough to touch. Gently roll the chilled balls with a fork through the melted chocolate and place back on the parchment. Top with nuts, candy cane, coarse salt or whatever else you want. Chill till set, about 20 minutes.
- Eat the crap out of these.
Recipe by She Eats at https://sheeats.ca/2012/12/the-great-food-blogger-cookie-swap-reveal-salted-chocolate-stout-truffles/