Spring Pea & Fava Bean Risotto
Yield 6 servings
- 1 C Fresh Shelling Peas.
- 1 C Fresh Fava Beans, shelled & shucked.
- 1 C Arborio Rice.
- 1 C Parmesan Cheese, grated.
- 2 Shallots, thinly sliced.
- 2 Garlic Cloves, thinly sliced.
- 3 Tbsp Butter, unsalted.
- 3/4 C Dry White Wine.
- 5-6 C Chicken or Veggie Stock, well heated.
- Fresh Parsley, roughly chopped.
- Kosher Salt and Fresh Cracked Black Pepper.
- On a medium-low heat, melt 2 Tbsp of butter in large pan and add shallots and garlic, season lightly with salt. Saute 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add rice, stirring until grains become slightly clear and golden on the outside, approximately 2 min.Gently pour in the wine, stir well, and allow for absorption by the rice and evaporation of the alcohol.
- Next ladle in enough stock to just cover the rice mixture and allow for a low simmer, stirring fairly regularly to avoid burning and encourage creaminess. Continue adding further ladles of broth as it gets absorbed, again only as much as is needed to cover the rice.
- This will continue for roughly 30 mins, or until rice mixture is creamy and has reached the desired texture. You want it to be soft and oozy but still hold it's texture and not be mushy.
- When you figure you've got about 5 minutes (one more covering of stock) left, stir in the peas.
- Once it has reached the desired texture dump in the Parmesan cheese, parsley, fava beans, about a Tbsp of butter, and a good dose of pepper. Stir well.
- Oh yes. Eat.
Recipe by She Eats at https://sheeats.ca/2013/05/peaing-all-over-the-place-even-in-the-risotto/