Home-Baked Classic Glazed Sugar Cookies
Yield 25 cookies
Ingredients for the Cookies:
- 1 1/2 C Butter, room temperature.
- 2 C White Sugar.
- 4 Pastured Eggs.
- 2 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract.
- 5 C White Flour.
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder.
- 1 Tsp Fine Sea Salt.
Ingredients for Icing:
- 2 C Icing/Confectioners Sugar.
- 2 Tbsp Milk.
- 1/2 Tsp Almond Extract.
- Food Coloring (optional).
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and white sugar with electrical beaters until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet in batches until all incorporated. Cover and place in the fridge for 2 – 24 hours.
- When ready to make the cookies, pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees F. Flour a dry flat surface and roll dough out to 1/4″ – 1/2″ thick. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters and place on un-greased cookie sheets. Bake in the oven until golden on bottom and cooked through, approx 6-8 minutes depending on the size and thickness of your cookies.
- Place on a wire rack to cool completely before decorating.
- In a large bowl, fold the sugar into the milk until absorbed and silky. You may have to play with this a little bit. Add more sugar for a thicker glaze, more liquid for a thinner one. Once you have the desired consistency, set aside. You can pour some in a pastry bag to decorate the cookies or just slather on top. Toothpicks are helpful too. If you want to make separate colors pour some of the icing into individual bowls and mix with food coloring. Viola!
- As you glaze cookies, set them aside somewhere safe to dry. This can take up to 24 hours.
Recipe by She Eats at https://sheeats.ca/2013/12/the-2013-great-food-blogger-cookie-swap-reveal-classic-glazed-sugar-cookies/