Sparkling Rhubarb Shrub
Yield 4 drinks
- 1 Lb fresh rhubarb, sliced into 1/4" pieces
- 3/4 C organic cane sugar
- 1/2 C white wine vinegar
- 2 C soda water
- Optional: 4-8 shots good quality silver tequila like Patrón (depending how boozy you want your drinks)
- To garnish: Limes, fresh mint and/or additional rhubarb
- Place rhubarb and sugar into a bowl and toss well to combine. Using a muddler or potato masher, grind it all together. This helps speed the maceration process along. Cover and place in the fridge for about 3 days.
- After 3 days, remove the mixture from the fridge and strain the liquid through a fine mesh sieve. If there's any leftover sugar on the rhubarb solids, just place a second bowl under the strainer and pour the liquid back over the rhubarb to get all the sugar remnants. You may want to squeeze/press on the rhubarb to ensure all the liquid is extracted.
- Pour liquid into a dry, clean mason jar and add vinegar. Cover and shake vigorously to combine. Place in the fridge for 1 week to allow the flavours to mingle. Shake occasionally.
- After a week, pour 1-2 shots of good quality tequila into a glass along with 1 shot of rhubarb shrub. Fill the glass with ice and top with soda water. Serve with a wedge of lime, some fresh mint or rhubarb stalk.
Recipe by She Eats at https://sheeats.ca/2015/05/sparkling-rhubarb-shrub/